back up power

komet

What , if any, type of backup power supply are you all using?? Severe weather is just around the corner and Im getting a bit nervous! The last time I lost power it was out for almost two days.

rhomer

I've got a apc 350, this will keep everything going for about 20 minutes. This will help keep things going during quick blips. I have nothing for long term outages.

stacy

I use an apc UPS 350. Depending on your equipment this could last for a few minutes to 30. I'll be upgrading to something that will last a little longer just in case we have rolling black outs again. I also turn my lights off when the power goes out. They seem to put a pretty intense load on the battery backup.

jasper180

Depending on your budget and weather or not you own your house a back-up generator is the way to go. I have a 40kw generator (overkill but free from work) that kicks on if power off for more then 7 seconds. Runs off natural gas. 15kw would be okay for average house, installed cost less then $5,000.00 in this area. I am lucky in that I was able to get it all done in trade.
Erik

von_rahvin

you can get a gasoline back up gen for alot less. My father picked up one that ran most of the appliances in his house for around 1000. He had to get it quick, and we had just been it with a hurricane, so prices were jacked up. I'm sure if you shopped around you could et one cheaper. If i had the money i would get a natural gas one and wire it to my tank, but first i might want a house!!!!!! :D

jasper180

I meant 7 seconds, if the power is off for more then 7 seconds the generator comes on automaticly. That is one of the big differences and cost difference from the portable $1,000 generators. If I am on vacation and the power goes out everything in my house stays on.
Erik