Background color

aaronw78

I was just wondering what background you prefer on your tanks.
I used a Fading blue (light blue at top fades to dark blue at bottom) for a couple of years but recently switched to solid black and I think I like black better b/c it seems to make the tank look deeper and it blends in with black equipment such as power heads.

cindyski

i had a solid black on a fresh water tank. i had a cabinet maker cut to size a piece of solid black formica. this was very durable & dosnt "bubble up" & get shifted like the the ones you get at the store. i loved it.

aaronw78

Mines a plastic film. the one thing I hate about it is when water spills between it and the glass, It's a pain to dry out if the tank backs a wall and you have hang-on filters and skimmers like I do.

jeo

I think black is too dark. But I think most blue backgrounds are too light and look fake and reminiscent of pet store tanks. I think the ideal backgroud is dark blue, best of both worlds. The don't really make these however, but for my tank I bought the fading blue and just put the dark blue at the top. Only the top quater is showing due to my LR so you can only see the dark blue part.

wrassecal

Black with coralline spots:D We stretch a piece of canvas across the back and velcro it top and bottom.That way it's not permanent. I wouldn't paint a 135 gal tank that cost me a fortune to set up in the first place.

aaronw78

The back glass of my old tank was completely covered with solid pink coralline too. you couldn't see the background at all. My new tank has awhile b4 it gets like that, but it's starting to develop on the back glass. That stuff seems impossible to get off once its on there.

fishkiller

may be true. I don't use a back ground, because I like to check on stuff going on behind the rocks. Incase I need to see back there. Otherwise, I believe blue looks best. REGUARDLESS, If you have a bad enough setup, you should NOT be able to see the back of the tank. IMO:D

wrassecal

but fishkiller that takes time and patience :D I can watch behind my rocks by standing on the side of the tank and looking at the reflection.