background or not to background? That is the question

cofishguy

Hi again,

I've been sorting thru most of the pics posted here of everyones' tanks. I've noticed some of you use backgrounds and others don't. I am thinking of going with a plain blue or black background on my tank. My LFS has one that is Blue on one side and Black on the other. I think the ones with pictures of reefs on them are sort of fake looking and just dont appeal to me. (sorry, not dissing those of you out there that have those kinds, just giving you my preferenc.)
Anyway, my question is, How many of you use backgrounds on your tanks and if so what color/scheme? Are there advantages to not using one, or is it just a matter of personal prefence?
Thanks again!

dchec2100

I agree with you about the seascape backgrounds... so I use the black side of the blue/black material. Helps hide the HOB powerfilter and the protein skimmer... although I hope to add a sump soon to move most of that stuff totally off of the display tank. :happyfish
Dan

lion_crazz

I also do not like the ones with fake pictures on them. However, having a background could look very nice. For my tank, I chose not to use a background and it looks fine as well, I think.

samiam4663

I have an acrylic tank that has a black background built on. I like it because it makes everything in the tank stand out.

cofishguy

I agree with all the posts so far. There are tanks like Lion_crazz's that look good w/o a background. But, I also like the idea of the black or dark blue background because the black somewhat hides the filters, powerheads, etc. And the dark blue adds kind of some depth as well. Right now I am leaning towards the black background.
Any others have any opinions?

mrdc

I have a black background but it's really pointless now since it's completely covered in corraline algae.

celacanthr

I don't use a background, because my tank isn't very wide (front to back), and my lights are several inches fomt he top of the aquarium. I loose alot of light, which illuminates the wall behind the tank. I like the effect that the wall gives, as a kind of backlight (I guess).

ray28576

I use a blue BG. I think it does like the previouse post says, it adds depth to the tank. I have never been a fan of aquariums with out BG's. IMO it takes away from the tank, and the color in the tank does'nt show up as good. Black is good to hide wires and make color stand out like previously posted.

oceana

my last tank had a vibrant blue (acrylic) background which I hated before we set it up, but after seeing how how it complamented my corals I fell in love. My new tank has a black acrylic overflow, so I left the whole back of it black to match.
While I love the new tank, I sure miss the blue.
then...

now..

my way

I vote for black, it makes the colors in the tank stand out and make the tank look deeper than it really is.

oceana

Originally Posted by Ray28576
Where is your green carpet Oceana?

Sold it to a fellow reefer, it was just taking up so much space (it was getting HUGE) not to mention that I have my hand in the tank ALOT and I got tired of being stung by it. I'm happy to say that it's doing very well with the new owner.

moby

There is a foam you can spray in the tank on the back that looks exactly like rock.
I saw it on a local AZ forum, but he doesn't give the name of the product.
Anyone heard of this ? It is fairly new, but I have to say it looks VERY good.

One of the neat properties of this foam is it can be sculpted with pockets or ravines in which to put coral frags that can then grow where ever it wants.
It is completely reef safe, gives off no residual chemicals and is light wieght.
The way it is applied is you spray it in the tank on the back and it expands, after a few minutes you then take fingers, small spatula or anything else and gently work it.
It cures in about 2 hours and looked really good.
I 'm trying to get ahold of the person who posted it with photos and find out what the name of this is and where he got it.
If anyone is interested, I'll post the info as soon as I get it.
If anyone has heard of this and knows what it is, let the rest of us know.
Moby

saltwater8

I painted the background paper of my tank the exact color of the wall that the tank is in front of.
It not only hides the cords and tubes, but it also makes the tank appear larger than it is by blending into the wall behind it.
Of course the wall is a dark red color, I think darker colors look better.
***)