Background Paint

Can some of you that have painted the back of their tank post some pics and describe how and what kind of paint you used? Please

krux

no batteries in the camera at the moment, but i just used acrylic paint from the art store and brushed it on. i forgot to check the opacity of the pain, and the stuff i chose ended up being only semi-opaque (meaning partially see through) so i had to do like 5 coats.
last tank i did i just maksed off everything else and used spray paint, putting on about 3 coats.
stating the obvious, but you paint the outside of the tank, not the inside. i have actually seen that mistake happen before.
HTH

R

randy 12

I didn't paint. I went to a place that sells acrylic and got a thin piece of bright blue acrylic. They also have black. You can also get something else they sell there in a variety of colors and it's a flat color (not shiny like the acrylic). They cut it for me and it fit on the back of the tank perfectly. I took packing tape and tape it on all sides. (If you have glass, be sure and measure between the trim so it goes on flat against the back). If I get tired of this color, I can just change it later. I haven't ever had a problem with water or salt getting between the glass and background because I taped it off so well with good tape.
For those that paint... why do you all paint? Is it easier or is the look better? Just curious. Always looking for a better way.

What if my tank is already filled? Would it affect the tank if I paint it now or is it required to empty the tank. The paint goes on the outside obviously so how would it affect the tank. You guys think the fumes would affect it. I'm still cycling so I have no fish in their yet!

krux

just paint in a well ventilated area, and dont get all sloppy spilling paint into the tank and you should be ok. i would not recommend spray paint if your tank is already filled though, overspray is hard to avoid.

gatorcsm

I don't think you'd have a problem painting it now, as long as you don't get any in the tank, as krux said.
Any fumes that get in, should be removable by a skimmer. It would easily be entrained in the bubbles.