Background... Paint

jmesmcm

I used rustoleum and rolled it on. Covered well, in 2 or 3 coats with no see through thin spots and could be painted with the tank filled in place against the wall using a thin roller from Home Depot. Best thing I ever did.

bullshark

Latex. roll it on, as stated above.
While I was painting the back of the tank blue, I also painted the bottom black to eliminate any reflections the fish might see when sand is brushed aside, so the wont freak out and try to bite themselves in the reflection.

jimmyn

There are a few things you should also do before painting.
Chalk the top and bottom along the frame seam otherwise paint will seep between the frame and glass.
Clean the glass with denatured alcohol. Any oils from your skin that are on the glass when you paint will leave, excuse the pun, fish eyes in the paint and will be visable from the front unless covered from view by your aquascaping.
Make sure you securly tape/cover the top opening of the tank otherwise you will get overspray into your tank and will have to tediously scrape it out.
If you are going to use a light color for your background, spraying a black coat at the end will help prevent light seepage through the background, depending on your lighting near or above the tank -- it will darken the background a touch.
I have used both types of paint with equal success.
Good luck

beaslbob

Originally posted by oceanic110
What kind of paint should I use to paint the back of my tank?
Glass tank...

Just saw a martha steward show where she made a pain of glass into a mirror with a spray on mirror paint. So if you want a mirror background you might try that. It is available at hobby craft shops.