backgrounds for tank

baloo6969

I'm setting up a mini reef tank, and i wanted to know what some people use for backgrounds. I dont want some crappy fake background, like rocks as a print...i'm sure you know what i mean. Could you use a mirror? i was thinking that would not be a good idea, since some fish are weard and will run into the glass killing themselves. But can you? Any other suggestions?

T

tizzo

It's cheezy but I like it... I have a black backround with a shark I got off the net hovering around back there...Maybe later I'll change it to a seaturtle. :D

N

nluchau

I do not have a picture at this time but a black background is very popular.

ophiura

I like the hot pink foil, greek temple, or freshwater tank backgrounds myself. Though I may have to reconsider. Tizzo's is pretty cool. Not cool enough for me. But cool nonetheless

Seriously, Tizzo, that's not all that cheezy. And with corals like that in front.....no, not cheezy. :yes: You should unload some of those corals so that you can appreciate the background more. Send them here :yes:
Even more seriously, I use black. But this is a real personal preference. I used to take buyers from tank to tank with the blue, dark blue and black. Look at it from a distance and see what catches your eye. I think with the blue, you see the background first and then the stuff in the tank. With the black, I think you see the tank inhabitants first.

mdmacolyte

LOL, if yer tank is like mine, you wont be able to see the back glass anyway cuz its covered in rock... =) I bought a deep blue background to put up, I just never got around to it... =)

monalisa

The background on my tank is dark, dark blue...makes a HUGE difference in how things look. Tried to post pics, but no luck. I'll try at work on Monday when I'm in my own environment (PC). Working on Apple at home... really new to me. :notsure:
Lisa :happyfish

dragonfli

i switched from blue backing crap. to matte black. i love the depth it gave to my tank. and the paint cost 1.98 and it only took one can(spray that is)

pohtr

I didn't paint my tank before I set it up because I didn't want to do anything permanent at that time. I don't like the blue either.
So, does anyone have any ideas how to make a black background, or something that comes in black that would work? Or even a place that sells the black ones made for aquariums? Fabric doesn't work, by the way. Do you think that painting a piece of plywood and sliding it in behind would work?

O

oceangrl11

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
Black background, hides all the equipment and makes the tank look bigger:
(mudplayerx)
Where did you get the hanging lights from? Those are cool. LFS?

sunfire585

I painted the back of my 30 gal black with black arylic paint before I set it up. It looks nice
but, when I added my skimmer on it scratch some off-which I fixed later. Soon I plan to set up a 55 gal and I think Im gonna try using blue spray paint.

monalisa

Originally Posted by pohtr
I didn't paint my tank before I set it up because I didn't want to do anything permanent at that time. I don't like the blue either.
So, does anyone have any ideas how to make a black background, or something that comes in black that would work? Or even a place that sells the black ones made for aquariums? Fabric doesn't work, by the way. Do you think that painting a piece of plywood and sliding it in behind would work?

pohtr,
I might be taking my life in my hands here, but what I did was took the advice from someone on the board here and simply put wrapping paper up...Yeah, I was skeptical, BUT...hey!!! it works and looks awesome, and for pennies. I can change it anytime I want to. I was SO amazed at what a difference it made!!! Great :jumping:

dragonfli

how much room do you have to work with behind the tank? there is vinyl that you can get if you want to go that rout. you peel it from its backing and stick it on. it doesnt get the salt creep as bad as the non sticky vinyl backing. but depends on what yo have to work with. if your tank isnt thatbig get a friend to help you. cover it with plastic and carefully spray the back.......emphasis on carefully. i know that there is the issue of chem's but if you are careful it should work out.

monalisa

Maybe while you're doing the painting, can you saran wrap the top of the tank to make sure nothing icky gets into your water? Would that work?

mudplayerx

Originally Posted by oceangrl11
(mudplayerx)
Where did you get the hanging lights from? Those are cool. LFS?
I got them at the lfs for $250 each. They are Coralife HQI 10k Pendants.

pohtr

Does the peel & stick vinyl come off later if you want to remove it? And where do you get it, is it like contact paper? I have about 3" behind the tank, so not enough room to paint.
That wrapping paper idea sounds like a possibility....hmmmm. How about wallpaper?

monalisa

Not sure about wallpaper. Hey, I know that I might get dissed for this, but that wrapping paper is holding up GREAT!! Gotta do your own thing, and see how it works!!!
Best thing about the wrapping paper approach, I've got PLENTY to replace when I need to, and it's payed for. It's been on my tank now at least 6 weeks and still looking great. PLUS, I can change colors when and if I want to without a whole lot of hassle!! :jumping:
Just do what you think you can do.

O

oceangrl11

I got them at the lfs for $250 each. They are Coralife HQI 10k Pendants.
Ahhh. I've seen those online. Good to know what they actually look like in a set up. When i have seen pics of them they do not look as attractive as some others, but they look great hanging up! Thanks a bunch

binhzino

Black background, hides all the equipment and makes the tank look bigger:
did you spraypaint the back? do lfs sell backgrounds that are all black? bc i dont want to move my tank and cover the top just to spray paint the back..