backgrounds for tank

T

t3d

A friend of mine used a collection of dvd and cd covers for his background...That looked nice.

ophiura

LFS usually sell, in addition to greek temples, asian pagodas, misc freshwater scenes (and saltwater - great way to add the look of a yellow tang without the issues)...blue, dark blue and black backgrounds. Often the basic color is on the other side of a "scene" paper.

pohtr

So far, 4 out of 4 lfs I've been to had no backgrounds to fit my 90g. I haven't even found any online. That would be 24" x 48". So I really love all these creative ideas. :D
T3D How did your friend attach the dvd & cd covers?? I can't even really imagine what that would look like...

I'd love to find something the right size that would remain stiff and could be painted with just a little of realism but mostly midnight blue or black. Custom painted, but on what? Something that could be clipped into place and removed periodically to clean the creep. I guess a sheet of heavy glass would be too expensive, plexiglass warps (maybe need it thicker?), plywood would probably warp unless it was the totally expensive kind, maybe formica (might come the right color?)?

mudplayerx

Yup, I went to walmart and they had one of the "scene" backgrounds of freshwater plants. The other side had jet black, and that is what I used. If you read the package, it will usually tell you what is on the other side of the scene.

monalisa

Originally Posted by Binhzino
did you spraypaint the back? do lfs sell backgrounds that are all black? bc i dont want to move my tank and cover the top just to spray paint the back..

The LFS that I go to actually has the vinyl backgrounds that's reversible for saltwater, dark blue on one side and black on the other. I think that when my wrapping paper runs out, that's the route I'm going to take, really curious to see what my tank will look like with black...hmmmm, I have an awful lot of wrapping paper left, and Christmas is coming up...hmmmmm :D
Lisa :happyfish

philgmiami

Originally Posted by Binhzino
did you spraypaint the back? do lfs sell backgrounds that are all black? bc i dont want to move my tank and cover the top just to spray paint the back..
I PAINTED MINE BLACK WITH A PAINT BRUSH.. 2-3 COATS :yes: .. IT LOOKS GREAT. IT MADE ALL MY COLORS IN MY TANK STAND OUT!!!!!

nemo lover

for my 2.5 I was going to use velcro stickys and felt. When I was at walmart going to by felt at walmart, right next to it was this 8x11 sheet of black thin styro foam with a sticky back for .50 so I got that instead works great for me, and my little tank. They had all different colors too.

jayc

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
Yup, I went to walmart and they had one of the "scene" backgrounds of freshwater plants. The other side had jet black, and that is what I used. If you read the package, it will usually tell you what is on the other side of the scene.
Thats were I got mine at for my 55. Works real well.

mudplayerx

Make sure if you guys/gals use backgrounds that aren't painted on, you totally tape the top of the sheet all along the top rim of the tank. If you don't, water can drip down the back of the tank and leave salt trails when they dry.