Backup Generator - just sharing

weberian

I have a 30-gal soft corals reef with a 20 gal sump/fuge, PC lighting.
I recently purchased a 3500W ($250 after rebate) generator from Pep Boys.
Added up the tank's draw:
lights: 192 W
heaters: 150W x 2 = 300 W
skimmer: Coralife 65 60 W
PH (1 maxijet): 8.5 W
Mag5 return: 45 W
Sump cirulation: Aquaclear50: 6 W
Total: 620 W
Other house stuff:
One refrigerator: 7.2A x 110V = 792 W
One window A/C 635W
General lighting: 200 W
Total backup Watts: 2,247 Watts
Just wanted to be ready in case any of these hurricanes makes it up to the northeast.

weberian

Good comment. I've heard gas can be hard to come by with power out. I was thinking of getting some 1/4-inch polyethylene tubing like we use with RO units to snake down into my truck's gas tank for siphoning out gas. I don't really want to spend any more money on a nice gas can.
It's a 4-gal tank that might last 8 hrs. of sleepy time. It says 12-14 hrs. on half-load, but as you can see by the numbers, it would be more than half-load.

baloo6969

yea, but if your buying it for a hurricane or bad storm (Even in RI)...the gas stations probably close down...so your gonna have to have a good amount of gas around to power it for a weekend...maybe just run the tank...and the fridge just to keep the food good...and AC/Heat at a min...must worry more about the corals and fish than the family and food

allterr

HAHAHAHA!!...I posted this a few weeks ago.....(forgot the title of the thread)...when our power goes out during storms and hurricanes, the tanks are AlWAYS the first thing hooked up to the generators!!..(rest of family and friends think there is something wrong with me)

geridoc

How are you going to feed the power to your house? There are many ways, but if you don't use a transfer switch you run the risk of electrocuting linemen working to restore power. Big liability there!

snaredrum

Originally Posted by Allterr
HAHAHAHA!!...I posted this a few weeks ago.....(forgot the title of the thread)...when our power goes out during storms and hurricanes, the tanks are AlWAYS the first thing hooked up to the generators!!..(rest of family and friends think there is something wrong with me)
Holy Moly! you sound like me know. Our power went out and the wife was sweating to death trying to sleep and my tank was nice and comfy!...LOL

GeriDoc brings up a VERY important point...if you dont use a transfer switch you MUST shut off the main breaker on your panel or you will backfeed electricity to the lines...a potentially deadly scenario...you also should considder the amperage draw on your appliances when you size a generator...compressors on a/c and refridgerators draw a lot of amps...and could possibly overload the generator causing it to automatically shut down...

weberian

I'm not backfeeding - just using extension cords from the generator to the tank's powerstrips. I checked the ratings on 16 guage extension cord wire and it will handle the amperage.
I need to put oil in that new generator and test it.
I just tested getting 1/4 pex tubing into my truck's fuel tank - what a pain it was to get it down into the tank - had to use an electrical fish wire to get it down in there and a lot of shoving.

i found a real inexpensive siphon tube at wal mart for just that..its a 1/4" very flexible tube with a squeeze pump on the other end...a couple of pumps and the gas flows and its very simple to stuff into the tank!! i think i paid 4 dollars for it.