Backup power supply necessary?

brewski4u1

ok was just checking! sorry if i sounded like a jerk! but some people are just well... if you worked for the fire dept you know!

big

Originally Posted by Brewski4u1
http:///forum/post/2503856
ok was just checking! sorry if i sounded like a jerk! but some people are just well... if you worked for the fire dept you know!
NP there are lots of folks with less than common sence around. It was a good point you raised!!...
BTW I did,'t work for the Fire dept guys , did not mean to miss lead you. I enginnered detection equipment and designed them. Fire saftey was sort of a way of life......... Put food on the table!!!

fats71

Originally Posted by LexLuethar
http:///forum/post/2503734
SCSI is right on, I don't think that a UPS is a long-term solution for an aquarium. Although i'm not as well-versed as he is in hardware, I can tell you that buying any type of UPS that will provide more than 12 hours of power is going to cost you A LOT of money. Most UPS's that you can purchase through a local dealer(best buy, office depot) only provide power for short period of time (say one or two hours) - reason is it is not meant to be a longterm solution. It is meant to provide enough power for a 450 watt machine long enough for someone to save their current work and properly shut down. (200 bucks at worste buy for an two hours @ 800 watts).
If you want something that will actually provide your tank with reliable power for more than a few hours you need to get a generator.

Your right but none will run for hours. here is one of my pcs and the rest are around the same specs.
Ultra X3 ULT40070 1600-Watt Power Supply
ASUSTek Computer INC.
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 FX-74 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Hard Drive: 320 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX (4Graphic cards) SLi
Monitor: SyncMaster 226BW(Digital)
Sound Card: SoundMAX HD Audio
Speakers/Headphones: Logitech 1000 watt surround sound (8.1)
Keyboard: Razer Tarantula
Mouse: Logitech® MX™518 Gaming-Grade
Mouse Surface: WoWPad
Operating System: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (5.2, Build 3790) Service Pack 2 (3790.srv03_sp2_rtm.070216-1710)
for all of my machines I run one of these
208V APC SURT10000XLT 10000 VA 8000 Watts (1) Hard Wire 3-wire (2PH + G) (2) NEMA L6-20R (2) NEMA L6-30R Outlets Smart-UPS RT 10000VA 208V
It will cost you around
$5,500
It gives me plenty of time to shut down everything properly and I can run my routers monitors everything through it.
Battery Run Time: Typical Backup Time at Half Load: 13.2 minutes (4000 Watts) Typical Backup Time at Full Load: 4.0 minutes (8000 Watts)
is the run times.
My suggestion is a generator unless.

mikesin

Scotikis - We are new to the hobby and recently (during that last cold spell)had a power outage that lasted a little over 3 hours. We were surprised on how quickly the aquarium water temperature dropped. We are apartment dwellers so a generator is not an option. We purchased an
750W inverter. Our vehicles are parked close to a window next to the aquarium so a short extension cord is easily used to run the heater -mag7 return pump - canister & 3-1200 maxi power jets. Of course one has to be home to make the connection when electric is lost but its better than nothing. one other potential complication is what sscinet hit on is "sine" they (inverters) cost a bit more for pure sine.
Hope this helps..

scotikis

Thanks all for the advice. I'm going to budget for a generator as opposed to a UPS battery backup system. Unfortunately as mikesin mentions, I'll have to be home to get it started..but I'm in field sales which gives me flexibility to come home on short notice.
I see the whole house generators that some folks have mentioned - and they are very nice, but outside of my budget currently.

mikesin

problem is knowing when the power is out at your home. We have a Neptune ACIII which sends us an e-mail & text when the aquarium has a power outage or a leak. I'm pretty sure that I saw an alarm that uses your home phone to alert you of a poweroutage..... just some thoughts.... & good luck on our project !!

rtspeed

well i have hooked up at my house, seeing i work for a teir 5 data center and get good deal on there old equipment.
here is my setup
a natural gas gen, with a build in ATS, and a 2000 kva ups, so i never go without power.

lexluethar

Originally Posted by Fats71
http:///forum/post/2504198
Your right but none will run for hours. here is one of my pcs and the rest are around the same specs.
Ultra X3 ULT40070 1600-Watt Power Supply
ASUSTek Computer INC.
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 FX-74 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Hard Drive: 320 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX (4Graphic cards) SLi
Monitor: SyncMaster 226BW(Digital)
Sound Card: SoundMAX HD Audio
Speakers/Headphones: Logitech 1000 watt surround sound (8.1)
Keyboard: Razer Tarantula
Mouse: Logitech® MX™518 Gaming-Grade
Mouse Surface: WoWPad
Operating System: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (5.2, Build 3790) Service Pack 2 (3790.srv03_sp2_rtm.070216-1710)
for all of my machines I run one of these
208V APC SURT10000XLT 10000 VA 8000 Watts (1) Hard Wire 3-wire (2PH + G) (2) NEMA L6-20R (2) NEMA L6-30R Outlets Smart-UPS RT 10000VA 208V
It will cost you around
$5,500
It gives me plenty of time to shut down everything properly and I can run my routers monitors everything through it.
Battery Run Time: Typical Backup Time at Half Load: 13.2 minutes (4000 Watts) Typical Backup Time at Full Load: 4.0 minutes (8000 Watts)
is the run times.
My suggestion is a generator unless.
Regardless of the equipment you are running, the max it will use is what your power supply can convert the AC to DC current. So you have a 1600 watt power supply, so that is the max all those components can take from your wall socket.
We all agree though that UPS will only provide power for short periods of time - which unless you live in alask or brazil will not effect your system. If you are out for long periods of time (a day or more) then a generator is what you need.

fats71

http:///forum/post/2504482
Regardless of the equipment you are running, the max it will use is what your power supply can convert the AC to DC current. So you have a 1600 watt power supply, so that is the max all those components can take from your wall socket.
We all agree though that UPS will only provide power for short periods of time - which unless you live in alask or brazil will not effect your system. If you are out for long periods of time (a day or more) then a generator is what you need.

Your right and all my machines are running 1600 watt power supplies and a min of 6 run at one time in my home.. I run a A/C unit in my computer room when the temp is 10 degrees outside even with the window open it gets to be blistering hot in this room without it.
As for generators being out of your budget you can pick them up at pawn shops etc and even some new ones for around 150 bucks.

lexluethar

Originally Posted by Fats71
http:///forum/post/2504571
Your right and all my machines are running 1600 watt power supplies and a min of 6 run at one time in my home.. I run a A/C unit in my computer room when the temp is 10 degrees outside even with the window open it gets to be blistering hot in this room without it.
As for generators being out of your budget you can pick them up at pawn shops etc and even some new ones for around 150 bucks.
Agreed, and if for whatever reason you decide you don't need all of those throw one my way

I'll even come pick it up, i'm going to upgrade my desktop when we get our 'tax relief' checks.

fats71

http:///forum/post/2504591
Agreed, and if for whatever reason you decide you don't need all of those throw one my way

I'll even come pick it up, i'm going to upgrade my desktop when we get our 'tax relief' checks.

I have so much pc stuff for sale all desktop equipment though. I have video cards tons of modems routers etc. I am on the "e"

[hr]
site selling under the name floridafatty. I do not have anything on there atm but pm me with stuff you need and we might come into some sort of trade :) I love fish stuff u know. most of it is pci express stuff so if your going that route. I also keep a lot of water cooling stuff and have a full setup for Phase-change
I cant use it as it beats up my high end stuff to quickly hot cold etc too much..
I can't wait for the "Ionic wind" to be produced no more a/c in thhe room no more water cooling crap just COLD PCS !!!
Anyway
back on topic check out local pawn shops for generators and invest int he 20 dollar alarm thing the people were talking about that way you can be on top of it if an outage occurs.