aftrhrs

Me: What kind of fish is that?
LFS: I don't know but it's from Hawaii :thinking:
Me: Well, how much is it?
LFS: I don't know
Then the guy walks away from me !
What in the world???

cindyski

this is FW related, but they had small lobsters in the LFS and i said are these community lobsters? of course they told me yes. the freakin thing got huge (since it was eating all my fish) my poor elephant nose didnt come out of hiding until after it was gone

zeromus-x

I drove almost an hour to a fish store and saw the most amazing fish -- a cowfish! Coolest fish ever! Asked if he'd be okay with the rest of my fish, named every one of them off, asked if he'd be reef safe, complete impulse buy. Got it home, let it sit in the bag with some of my tank's water, put it in the tank... looked online... saw that it's freaking poisonous to the tank when stressed! Meanwhile I've got a spiny lobster that keeps poking him with his long front spines!
Called them up, not too happy... "Well, just bring it back." I've got no net! I spent about ten minutes chasing it around the tank with a fork and a Zip-Lock Freezer Bag. "But don't stress it out!!!"

zeromus-x

Yeah, he was fine, and I took the opportunity to buy a net that day!! :eek:
I didn't poke the guy or anything, just kinda persuaded him to get in the bag. I'm sure he's got a happy new home by now. They're lucky it didn't kill everything in the tank, but I really do wish I could have one. All the really cool fish seem to be the ones that want to kill all the other ones. Unfortunate.

zeromus-x

Had to get him into the zip-lock bag, didn't I? :) All my spoons were in the dishwasher!
I took some pictures last night but can't get any of them to come out really good. It's a corner tank with a rounded front, black trim, on a big black stand. I've got three live rocks in the back, and the lobster over the course of three days dug out a giant hole almost to the bottom of the tank in between the rocks. It's pretty cool looking, because you just see the two antennae sticking out from the rocks. Kinda creepy.
The brittle star seems to be trying to take over his home, though.
If I can figure out how to take a good picture, I'll post one! Any ideas from any photographers here? I've got a Canon A80, so I can adjust all the aperture settings and stuff... but I don't have a tripod, so when I set the shutter speed slower to take a clearer picture, it ends up blurry from me moving.

mr. tuna

one time the guy at my LFS said:
ya you can keep a naso and a blue hippo in
a 92 with no problem.

I put a blue hippo in, but that is the only tang though,

kittykitty

Originally posted by Zeromus-X
If I can figure out how to take a good picture, I'll post one! Any ideas from any photographers here? I've got a Canon A80, so I can adjust all the aperture settings and stuff... but I don't have a tripod, so when I set the shutter speed slower to take a clearer picture, it ends up blurry from me moving.

I've found that the best way to take a picture of a moving fish is simply just to put your camera up against the glass and use a flash. Make your shutter speed faster.

harlequin

Krowleey- Clams will do fine under high wattage PCs and good water conditions just dont put them on the bottom of deep tanks.
Favorite LFS lines...
-Mandarins are easy to keep.
-That blue tang will do fine in a 55.
-Thats a Puerto Rican high finned marble blenny....( still remains unknown to this day)
-Thats a very tough anemone, reproduces easily too, we sell them for $5. (aiptasia)
-We only turn the lights on for about 6 hours a day so the nautiluses can eat, we know they dont like the light.
-Problem with ich? This cleaner wrasse will do great for you then....
Note that I didnt fall for any of these except the blenny which I knew was a blenny but its species name was unknown and still remains unknown a year and a half later.

blackomne

~Mind you new store. Haven't even been open two weeks.~
I have lost a lot of fish.
Me: Well the tanks are still cycling.
No I mean sold, I have sold 500 dollars of saltwater fish. The tanks are done cycling. ~Didn't notice that many gone from the previous visit about a week earlier.~
Me: Well I did notice the aged coral. But it takes awhile for the tanks to cure.
No Everything came from other stores and they have been using them for six years. ~Shows me the bare wet dry with bio wheels under the tanks.~
I just want to shake my head.
Hmmm. I also like the freshwater 55 with a bag of salt on sell as a marine ready set-up.
Name of Store - *****.
Priceless

thedraven

"What, you have a small clarkii clown? Yea, he'll get along fine with this tomato, no problem! All clowns get along."

ccjc

Me to kid at LFS: "Do you carry air pumps?"
Kid: "Uh...um...why would we carry air pumps, we're a fish store?"
Me: "XTFGD!@"

lionfish28

Well the pet store guy had a tank with red volitans.And he thought they were black volitans!!!:notsure:
he kept tellin me that the red volitans were black volitans!!

T

tizzo

YIPPEE!!
I'm so glad this thread got bumped.. I hate to bump my own threads, but I love to read the stupidity dwelling outside the tanks, and inside the store!!

tervman

LFS - "You need this bio-wheel filter for your tank" (a used acrylic set-up I had purchased from a friend, with not a scratch anywhere)
Me, new to the world of SW and Acrylic tanks - "The openings are not big enough for the filter to fit"
LFS - "Just enlarge the opening"
Me - "How" (I'm mechanically challanged, you see)
LFS - "With a saw"
Me - "Will a regular saw work?"
LFS - "Yes"
Me - "Your sure....just a regular saw?"
LFS - "Yes, just cut it with a regular saw"
End result....tank top split
back bowed out, with the weight of the filter, so bad I had to dump the whole thing, since I was afraid it would crack open and spill 40G of SW all over my family room.
It is now my 40G reef to be.....once I figure out how to get it fixed. :help: