Bad Algae Breakout-help

fishman72b

I have recenly has some bad algae breakouts.. and i was wondering if there was anything you could tell me to buy to feast on it, or remove it.
Sorry about the pics. kinda blury but thats the best i can get off my cell fone.
I have bad brown algae on the sand and rocks (spreding OUTRAGEOUSLY QUICK)
And a bad batch of DARK GREEEN algae on the glass/heater/airline tubes/filter input/output.
Tank Specs
-Turboflotor Multi SL skimmer
-about 80lbs of LR
-72 Gallon Bow front.
-293 wats PC lighting.
First Pic - BROWN ALGAE ON SAND
Second Pic- DARK GREEN ALGAE AND BRWN ALGAE ON ROCKS
Third Pic- DARK GREEN ALGAE ON BACK OF GLASS
:help:

symon

You need to check your water, if you are using tap water it will cause alge breakouts! Also your lighting may be helping the process, since you didn't post and info about your tank, water spec's size, corals, age ect! You might wanna do that, but normally cutting down you lighting cycle will help to control it, also water flow could be an issue, more water flow will slow it down! BUT types of coral may not allow you up the flow considerably!

hagfish

How long has the tank been set up? If it's pretty new, this kind of algae is common and will usually go away in a couple weeks.
It looks like a slimy kind of algae. If so, increased flow in those areas should help quite a bit.
Keeping nitrates/phosphates low is the key to preventing algae outbreaks. But with slime algaes, more flow usually fixes it pretty quick.

fishman72b

its a reef in the making. i have had the tank for abot a year..
Phosphates are SOO high. I do have PO4 Mins.. but its not doing a thing
amonia is kinda high.
lemme kno if you need annymore info

hagfish

You definitely want to get those phosphates down.
What kind of substrate do you have?
How often, how much, and what do you feed?
How many fish do you have, and what kinds?
How much flow? Make sure there are no dead spots.

fishman72b

I have live sand. about 1 inch thick from the bottom
I feed them Brine and clam and flakes.
I will do all brine one day, then brine with some clam, then brine with some flakes ( my tangs love the flakes) i will all provide seaweed strips.
the following are my fish :
-Clown Tang
-Purple tang
-yellow tang (YES I KNOW THE TANGS DONT GO, BUT I WOULD NO PUT THEM THERE IF THEY DID NOT GET ALONG)
-pink square anthias
-yellow tail damsel
-blue devil damsel
-striped goby
-clarkii clown
-maroon clown (they get along very well too :joy: )
-Humu Humu
So i have 10 fish and am NOT planning on anymore soon until i get rid of my trigger.
I just have the fluval 404 output and out put from my skimmer.

hagfish

The main problem is that is WAY too many fish, and many are large fish at that. The typical standard is 1" of fish per 4 gallons of water. I hope most of those fish are still juveniles. Even if they were only 2" each you're pushing it. Those tangs will all get to be around 9-10 inches. The anthias, like 6-7". Both clowns about 5-6" each. trigger > 10". If those fish are already full grown you'd be about 1" per gallon. They just create too much waste.
Have you tested nitrates, nitrites, and/or ammonia lately? I wouldn't be surprised if any of them were high too.
Also, you would benefit from some more flow. Probably 15X turnover per hour. The flow keeps the water oxygenated, and keeps detritus floating and more likely to be picked up by mechanical filtration.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Add 4 PHs for more circulation, two at the top, and two at the bottom. Maxi jets will do well. See if you can find a home for tangs, they are so inappropriate for this system. The overload is causing the ammonia. What is your source water?
I'm going to move you over to the reef forum for additional help.

fishman72b

i use RO/DI water. and my ammonia is fine(WENT DOWN DRASTICALLY FROM LAST TIME I POSTED). its the phosphates that are through the roof. i am going to the store today, and i can probably only get 2 for today, but i will do what i can... what do you mean by "two at the top and two at the bottom"?

fishman72b

and also, what do you mean the tangs are inappropriate? I could understand that if they were beiing agressive or territorial.. but they are neither they are all firnedy to all the fish.
And yes, all my fish are small. the largest fish i have is the anthias and he is about 4.5 in.
(P.S THE TRIGGER IS GOING TODAY)

iopusl

I might get flamed for this but the only thing that got rid of my cyano outbreak was Seachem's phosguard. I did everything to get rid of it: lowered the amount of time the lighting was on, made a 20g long into a refugium loaded with chaetomorpha, and tossed my seaclone 150 and replaced it with a homemade countercurrent skimmer that works amazingly. None of those things worked, and my bioload was not bad (2percs,2bangaiis,1coralbeauty). If only tried the phosgaurd before doing all that work. Anyway good luck.

jer4916

You have to start using RO water, its a must, basicly i had the same problem
remove half, yes i said half of your water and replace it with fresh RO water (obviously add your salt)
wait around a week, change 25% of your water with RO water....wait another 2 weeks and do another 25% water change...then from there out do 25% water changes a month with RO...also make sure your doing your top off's with RO
Do this...by the end of the month no more problem.
seen it a million times....fixed it a million times ;)
~Chris
myself i've never had the problem in my 125 reef ever...only in my aggressive when i used tap water....ro fix's all.