bad algae problem

dawman

To pst pictures you need to put your pictures on a picture host like photobucket.com and put the link in the pic link on reply forms .

here are pictures finally figured it out my whole tank looks like this but i could only get this in the picture because i had to resize it. any suggestions?

nigerbang

Originally Posted by kirkreynolds
Anyone have any ideas how i could get rid of this or know why its so bad?
Wow...Anyway to make it brighter...I cant tell whats going on..

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by kirkreynolds
i think i have a bad algae problem but im not sure how to post pictures never done it before.
Look like Diatoms, common in any new tank and should disapear in time, how ur clean-up crew? and water flow?

nigerbang

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
Look like Diatoms, common in any new tank and should disapear in time, how ur clean-up crew? and water flow?
How could you see that? Save the pic and lighten?
NVM....The background was throwing me off....I see what your talking about now..

i have one hermit crab and one turbo snail but i think its dead the other one died and the fish ate it. the sand is white but it is covered in dark green and brown algae in some places it looks black.

michaeltx

how much flow do you have in the tank? and what are your last round of test showing. Do you have a phosphate test kit? adn what type of water are you useing and what type of lighting do you have?
I know alot of questions LOL
Mike

i just have an aqua-tech 30-60 power filter and i use the boxes of marine water that you can buy from your lfs it says that it is from the ocean. i dont know what anything in my tank is at i was using the quick dip test strips but then was told that they are not accurate.

sepulatian

Is that fake decoration? It dosn't realy look like a background being that one of the flowers is right next to the filter. Can you explain the color of the algae? If it is brown then that is just diatoms, they will go away.

no we have no fake decoration it is just the back ground the algae is brown green and black its all mixed together. i not sure if it is really black algae or if its just the brown and green mixed together that makes it look that way.

mcbdz

Start over and give all your info so everyone can see what might be the problem.
What size tank
how old?
filters
live stock
etc.
How often you do water changes
What and how often you feed livestock
I would first off go get your own test kits and test your water. You can also take some in to your lfs and they will test it for you, but best to have your own.
I'm thinking you may need some more filtration also.
make sure you get your numbers and come back and post them.
SG
Amm.
Nitrite
Nitrates
If you can get live fish store to test for
Phosphates
good luck and post back soon with numbers and info.