BAD DAY My powder Blue just died

rkm

I dont understand it. Its been great. The tank is doing good. I'm going to do some more tests on the water tonight. I had it for 2 weeks I guess. This is real confusing. He was very colorful. He ate alot of food. Swam along with the yellow tang all the time. They got along great. Like brothers. I fed him this morning and when I got home my crabs were picking him a part. Expensive meal. both money and mentaly.:mad:
Ryan

ophiura

How big is your tank? How old is your tank? How long have you had the yellow tang? It would be very unusual for them to get along really well...even if you don't see any signs they weren't. When swimming together, they may have been sizing each other up.
The Powder Blue tang is one of the absolutely, positively most delicate fish and have a terrible survival record in captivity. Unfortunately, your experience is far from unusual.
A search using Powder Blue Tang on just about any message boards (here, ReefCentral or Reefs) will give you some further ideas on possible causes.

rkm

Yes I do have a maroon/gold striped clown mated pair. They realy kept to them selves. No signs of a problem. The yellow tang and the powder blue were both introduced to the tank at the same time. The powder blue was bigger. I guess they were sizing each other up like you said. Ohh and no pracitic infections were noticable. This fish looked awsome. Very Vibrent.

rkm

Ohh and I forgot. It was a 75g tank. I know now that it was a little shy for the powder blue. I found that out after I bought it. LFS said it was ok.....

bhav_88

If it does hurt, some people need to lighten up. Although a fish dying is not a joking matter, joking makes it easier if you stop to think about it.

flamehawk

Sorry for your loss. I recently had a semilavartus( golden butterfly) sucked into a power head which malfunctioned. It hurts.
How long has your tank been up. PB's are sensitive and should omly br introduced into a well established tank w/ LR and Good skimming to ensure optimal water conditions. I've had one for 3 years but did not attempt until well into the hobby and well established tank. Doing great and is probably my favorite. It is possible to keep and is actually pretty hardy once acclimated into a well established tank.
ALso you acknowledge that 2 tangs in a 75 is a bit cramped and over time would have causd a problem. While that could have aided to his demise since the small swimming space would have caused conflict amongst the tangs as they competed for space, I don't think it was the primary cause.
PB's are delicate tangs and should only be added after well establishment. Once acclimated they are as herdy as any tang.
WHile I wouldn't give up, I wouldn't put him into your tank w/ the yellow and others. If possible,set up another tank, preferably 100g plus, and try him after tank up at least 7-9 months and doing well with no losses. Good skimming and LR are essential.
If not the YT is a great looking fieh and should provide you w/ years of pleasure. Good Luck!! Stay positive!

john franklin

NEED TO KNOW WHAT YOUR CHEMISTRY IS, TEMP, SALINITY.
I HAVE HAD A BLUE TANG FOR ABOUT A YEAR- MY PH,AMMONIA, AND NITRITE ARE ALWAYS 0, BUT MY NITRATES RUN HIGH AT ABOUT 60 PPM. BUT I DO HAVE 45" OF FISH IN A 135 GAL TANK- IT IS AN EXPERIMENT THAT EVERYONE SAYS WILL NOT WORK- BUT IT DOES. I KEEP MY TEMP AT 75 DEGREES WITH A CHILLER. AND MY SALINITY AT 1.022
IF YOU GET A NEW FISH

[hr]
ACCLUMATE PROPERLY
HOSPITALIZE FOR 2 WEEKS
IF NO HOSPITAL- DRIP METHOD TO ACCLUMATE- OPEN THE BAG-ADD AN AIR STONE INTO THE BAG- USE AIR HOSE AND DRIP FROM MAIN SYSTEM INTO BAG UNTILL YOU HAVE DOUBLED THE WATER-PINCH THE HOSE TO ENSURE THAT IT HAS ONLY A STEADY DRIP- DIP INTO FRESH WATER WITH NO SALT- 3 TO 7 MINUTES- IF FISH LAYS ON ITS SIDE- YOU HAVE WAITED LONG ENOUGH- MAKE SURE TEMP. IS THE SAME-RELEASE FISH ONLY INTO THE MAIN SYSTEM- DISCARD THE ACCLUMATED WATER- USE A PLEXIGLASS SEPARATER IN YOUR MAIN SYSTEM TO KEEP THE FISH BY HIMSELF, THIS WILL ALLOW YOUR OTHER FISH TO GET USED TO HIM WITHOUT FIGHTING- REMOVE PLEXIGLASS AFTER 3 TO 4 DAYS-ALL SHOULD BE GOOD
LET US KNOW YOUR RESULTS
WATER TEMP AND COMPLETE CHEMISTRY MUST BE PERFECT TO KEEP THIS FISH- ANY VARIANCES WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS

rkm

Sorry to be so late on the update. I'm in the middle of moving my house.
Nitrate 0
Phosphate .2
Nitrate 0
PH 8.4
Amonia 0
Salinity 1.021
I have 1 more problem. I have a lepoard serpant star. That is the sort one. Well He has been great. This morning I look in the tank and the ends of his legs are eaten up an some are now shorter than the others. The top of him looks as if he is missing some of his skin so to speak. It realy looks like his mouth does on the bottom side. I think its safe to say it's dying. Do these creatures not live long? Could I have a unknown predetor? I do have a few blue legs and 1 scarlet crab. other than that I have 2 gold striped maroon clowns, a 6 line wrase, and some little slinder bright purple/blue fish. 1 sand sifter star, Ohh and a small yellow tang. I also have about 10 snales and 1 courly (spell) snail.
Any ideas? I thought the water conditions were good.
Thanks
Ryan

rkm

I also just remembered I have a big coral banded shrimp. I also noticed the tail of my yellow tang is eaten up a little. And I cant find my purple fish anywhere. Here is a pic of the starfish. This thing makes me sick just looking at it. Not for the weak harted!!! Sorry to post a pic of this but I need to know what whent wrong? Thanks

ophiura

You've got a serious problem in your tank. Brittlestars are not really known to die of old age....most people keep them for many, many years assuming that the tank params are good (your salinity is, IMO, too low for brittlestars) and they are kept well fed (they should be spot fed NOT allowed simply to scavenge). Brittles CAN recover from even severe injury assuming things are going well, but I would not say that is the case. Either there was some major salinity shock in the tank (or other shock, eg ph drop, etc), or you have a nasty crab or shrimp that got in there in the LR. You've definitely got a problem going on in there, and you need to sort it out ASAP.

john f

" This fish looked awsome. Very Vibrent."
Could be a sign of cyanide poisoning. Often drug caught fish are the most vibrant fish, and die 2-3 weeks post capture for no apparent reason.
John