Bad Magdrive?? help

big

OK All...... I put this thread under equipment stuff last night, but it has not been seem or replied to yet. Sorry for the double posting. Sort of in a rush to figure out this problem. I finally have my NEW Magdrive 36 pump up and running in this basement contraption I have been building........ It is not submerged. . It is the "guts" of my new sump-refugium set up. Didn't want the added heat, so I set it up externally inline. It is noisy as heck. The wife in bed upstairs in the bedroom could clearly hear it at the other end of the house .Sounds like in the impeller assembly,or bearings from what I can hear. Reducing or increasing the load on it does not seem to change it any. I am about ready to put my old Sequence 6000 from my Lilly pond in its place. Its as quiet as a church mouse.
This is the first time I have used one of these pumps. Are these pumps very loud by character of do I have a bad one???? I will be calling Danner the first thing tomorrow. Thanks ...Warren

badboyj

Originally Posted by big
OK All...... I put this thread under equipment stuff last night, but it has not been seem or replied to yet. Sorry for the double posting. Sort of in a rush to figure out this problem. I finally have my NEW Magdrive 36 pump up and running in this basement contraption I have been building........ It is not submerged. . It is the "guts" of my new sump-refugium set up. Didn't want the added heat, so I set it up externally inline. It is noisy as heck. The wife in bed upstairs in the bedroom could clearly hear it at the other end of the house .Sounds like in the impeller assembly,or bearings from what I can hear. Reducing or increasing the load on it does not seem to change it any. I am about ready to put my old Sequence 6000 from my Lilly pond in its place. Its as quiet as a church mouse.
This is the first time I have used one of these pumps. Are these pumps very loud by character of do I have a bad one???? I will be calling Danner the first thing tomorrow. Thanks ...Warren
I have the same mag , and had the same problem as you , I purchased new impeller and it works , works great

wangotango

My guess would be impeller, but it could also be vibrating on something. BTW mag-drives shouldn't be run externally.
-Justin

chilwil84

i think they took that warning out of there warenty for saltwater use because i read it on my little mag 3 but the 2 mag 9.5 dont have it written anywhere i was suprised by that myself

big

Originally Posted by WangoTango
My guess would be impeller, but it could also be vibrating on something. BTW mag-drives shouldn't be run externally.
-Justin
I talked to the enginner at "Danner" when buiding this beast. He said there would be no issues with using this large one "in-line'

trippkid

Mine did the same thing for about a couple of days, give it some time maybe to break itself in. Or, buy a new impeller and try that, or have Danner send you a new one, if you think it is defective. They can be used inline, but the seal may fail, I think is what people are referring to. Keep an eye on it.

Matt

big

Originally Posted by trippkid
Mine did the same thing for about a couple of days, give it some time maybe to break itself in. Or, buy a new impeller and try that, or have Danner send you a new one, if you think it is defective. They can be used inline, but the seal may fail, I think is what people are referring to. Keep an eye on it.

Matt

Thanks I will ask them about the seal issues tomorow

fish4me

Wow - this sounds familiar. I got a Mag Drive 24 for the same purpose and had the same problem: it was so noisy we could hear it on the other side of the house. I ran it submerged, I ran it submerged on top of a big rubber block, I even tried running it submerged on top of a big rubber block on top of a chunk of filter floss. Hubby still said it was either the pump or him, but one was going!
Danner hasn't responded to either of the e-mails I've sent. If you've been successful in reaching them, would you mind sharing how with me?

trippkid

Danner hasn't responded to either of the e-mails I've sent. If you've been successful in reaching them, would you mind sharing how with me?
This is an old phone number for Supreme(Danner)
1-800-458-5876, 631-234-5261 is the number on the website, don't know if it will help you or not, hope it does

Matt

emm0909

Mag drive pumps are great. I have a 900 and it's dead silent. Take the impeller out and check it over. Check out the magnet and the fan itself. it is rare that the actual fan will crack but I have seen it happen. This piece can be replaced.
You have to replace the whole impeller though. $20 should get you back up an running, silent and strong.

big

Originally Posted by Fish4Me
Wow - this sounds familiar. I got a Mag Drive 24 for the same purpose and had the same problem: it was so noisy we could hear it on the other side of the house. I ran it submerged, I ran it submerged on top of a big rubber block, I even tried running it submerged on top of a big rubber block on top of a chunk of filter floss. Hubby still said it was either the pump or him, but one was going!

FYI .....I spoke to Susan at Danner this AM. First request was to look at the impeller so I did. Inside looked like new no missing parts or such, only had been running for a day now. It still sounds like a real bad cat fight when reassembled and hooked up. They took care of replacing mine. I did make them aware of these postings and others with this same issue.
As to running inline as apposed to in sump, they said again there where no adverse issues. But from taking mine apart I can see that proper reassembling is necessary because of the modified O-ring type case construction.
As too the issue of unanswered emails they seemed where surprised to that. Whoever it was that had an issue with this, please resent your request to them, they said the read ever one daily...... Warren

trippkid

I am glad to hear that they are doing something for you now. I just had an issue with a "Quiet One" pump, they sent me a brand new pump, no questions asked, that part kind of makes me uneasy about the quality. Good luck, I hope it gets quieter for you.

Matt