bad news for @knight

I took you advise and put a percula clown in my tank. He WAS doing good but he got a little to brave. He was a small fish. He got to close to the drainage going to my sump in back of the tank. He ended up getting sucked into the sump and on the top of the trickle plate for my bio-ball system. My fiances aunt was watching it swim around 10 minutes earlier. She came back to look at the fish and couldnt find him. He was dead when she found him on the trickle plate.
[ November 27, 2001: Message edited by: just_got_tanked ]

clownman

When I got my Percula, I got a pair for it which had the same missfortune!!! :mad: :eek: :(
But it was tiny 1/2 " .... on the other hand, little bigger one survive and became a midium size clown :D

ironreef

This why i got rid of my plate don't need it anyway.Extended my pipe, I made a eggcreate catcher= box but screens on my pump intakes =fish/shrimp snail ect.. friendly You could put a screen on you overflow also but that may reduce flow if you run alot of gph I wouldn't do that.

Im tring to think of a way to put a screen on the return to the sump. Im thinking to use some fish net or something. I think that there can be some downsides to this though. The screen can catch stuff that I want out of the tank. What to do does anydoy have any ideas?

@knight

i would use egg crate as screen will clog very easily with detrius or other debris.
sorry to hear about the fish. when I first saw the thread title, i was worried that you lost him due to stress, and then I would have to eat my words and listen to a bunch of {"I told you so"'s
It sucks to loose a fish. if it was only there for 10 min, how'd it die? was it physical damage?
in any case, make sure your PH's are screened and their are no more booby-traps in your system before buying another. Loosing fish is not only dissapointing, but expensive as well. Better luck with clown #2.

Do you have an overflow or just A siphon tube?
If it is an overflow you should get a small sponge to go in the back. You do have to clean it but it keeps fish out noise down and cleans the water of large debis.
My yellow watchman goby is always getting stuck in the overflow. Once even to the sump on the trickle plate. It was all day since I had taken that sponge off untill I noticed.
But he is still alive.
Adam

I need to think of something. I like the sponge idea but how did the goby get passed it. This is going to a problem because the lawnmower blennie and the wathman goby are two fish that I wanted in the tank. Im looking to get a jawfish also. Im thinking about using fishnet some how. I may just have to buy bigger fish.

@knight

yeah, those are all great fish, but your tank can only handle one fish right now, i would still stick to 1 (one) hardy fish right now. it won't hurt to get one thats bigger than a guppy ;)
but after 1 fish dont add another for a few weeks. The slower you go the better your tank will be.

The goby was stuck in the overflow one day and I did not notice. I took the sponge out to clean it and that is when the goby got into the filter.
Don't worry the goby survived. My drip plate is home made so it collects more water on top before it drips down.
Adam