Bad News. Need Advise

littlej2455

I have had my 125 gallon aquarium for just over 2 years now, and everything has been going great. The take has 120 lbs of live sand, and has some live coral. I just got the news though, that I am going to have to move, and I will not be able to take the aquarium with me. I was wondering if you guys can suggest a fair price for my aquarium. This is what I am selling:

125 g acrylic tank
Tank stand
2 T5 lights
40 gallon sump
UV Sterilizer
Protein skinner
Heater, with monitor
Electric pH reader
2 large power heads
3 pumps
120 lbs of live sand
3 large pieces of fake coral
And I guess all my fish, if I can't give them back to my LFS...
Extra chemicals and salt.
I really hate having to do this, because I have put so much time and effort to make this tank successful, but if you could give me a quote, that would be great!

2quills

Kind of hard to say without complete details like what brand of lights, what kind of protien skimmer, is it a nice stand, what kind of ph's...etc.
If it were me, I would try to figure about how much I payed for everything and then advertise it for half that price. The odds are you probably won't even get that much out of it but at least it's a fair starting point. And don't be surprised if you end up having to settle for less. Unfortunately, aquarium setups usually don't have a great return on investment.
Good luck and sorry to hear you have to sell the tank.
Can you post some pics of the setup?

littlej2455

I only have a picture of the front of the tank with me. I will get some more pictures soon.
The lights are nothing special but they are:
2- Aqualight T5 Series - Double Linear Strip
SeaStorm 250 Protein Skimmer/with pump
And as for fish...
Sohal tang
Blue tang
Purple tang
porcupine puffer
chocolate chip starfish
niger trigger
6 bar anglefish
foxface lo
Thanks again for your help!

2quills

It is a nice tank. I see it has built in overflows which is good. Stand is descent with big double doors. I'd say if you have a little time...start around a thousand and then go from there. If you have any local fish stores around maybe they'll let you post picture and put it in there shop to advertise, and ofcorse there is always craigslist and such. If you lived in south texas I would probably buy the tank myself...just, not for a thousand. Only because I would be looking for just the tank itself.
You're welcome, and again, good luck!

flower

I have moved 3Xs in the last 2 years...sell the fish and coral, even the rocks, but keep your tank and equipment and rebulid later...It is so dang hard to start from scratch and if you love your tank...it is hard to not have one for too long of a time.

novahobbies

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3287480

I have moved 3Xs in the last 2 years...sell the fish and coral, even the rocks, but keep your tank and equipment and rebulid later...It is so dang hard to start from scratch and if you love your tank...it is hard to not have one for too long of a time.
I have to agree here. Law #67 in Murphy's Laws for Aquariums states that,
Originally Posted by Murphy

"If you're selling, nobody wants to buy, so you end up getting less than you wanted for it. If you go to buy again later, nobody will be selling for a good price so you wind up paying more than you want."
Sell the livestock and the live rock. Keep the tank in the garage or in storage. If you don't mind a long cycle (and the inevitable smell) dry out the live rock and re-use it when you start back up again. It will store as base rock just fine.