Bad/Predatory Copepods

55galgill

O.k quick question, does anyone know of any bad/predatory copepods? I found a "site" which i can order them in mili-litere sizes. here is the description
"occopea - LIVE Ocean Copepods - 200 mls - A Nice mixture of ocean plankton skewed towards copepods. Organisms from 50 microns - to 1000 microns in size"
I believe that these are caught "Raw" from the ocean.Anyone think this would be a bad idea? Why? I figure for some crazy biodiversity this would help alot. they also have wicked cheap lots of mysid shrimp in 100,200,500 lot sizes

TIA,
Gill

ric maniac

If it's straight from the ocean, I wouldnt do it. The doctors sell pods that are safe. And are the mysid shrimp live?

55galgill

Hey Ric,
Yea, there live mysis shrimp, huge amounts for alot cheaper than most of the aquarium trade offers, same with the pods. I found these guys ages ago but have yet to order anything from them. I still haven't heard anything about bad pods so im still inclined to buy it. The "Dr's" sell the pods and so do alot of other places since they seem to be the "hot item" right now, but they only sell single speicies and i want diversity. Maybe banguy will chime in and offer a few words of wisdom

dankreef

Most copapods live off of plankton and some agal. I do not think that a non tropical copapod would be a good addition to a reef tank when considering thier specicfic live history stratagies, niche breadth, and different physiological biolimitations.

55galgill

Originally Posted by DankReef
http:///forum/post/2474844
Most copapods live off of plankton and some agal. I do not think that a non tropical copapod would be a good addition to a reef tank when considering thier specicfic live history stratagies, niche breadth, and different physiological biolimitations.
sorry, i forgot to mention they do come from the carribean

55galgill

i would assume that once i have a healthy selection of corals, live copepods from the sea would be a wonderful treat and probably wouldn't foul my water as bad as some of the other stuff out there, right?