Bad Slime Algea...

reef46

I have a slime algea problem in my 46gal. My protien skimmer is currently out of order so I partly blame that. However I don't think my clean up crew is equiped to handle the job. What would your suggestions be on a good "slime eater" if anything.

jonthefishguy

Kalkwassing henders the cyno to blossom and helps remove phosphates. so, get your skimmer working again and kalkwass.

snakeblitz33

lol! jonthefishguy!
Kalkwasser only adds calcium to the tank, it does not hinder the growth of nusance algae. Calcium is a much needed element in reef tanks because many of the inhabitants need it. Anyways, your problem:
Make sure that:
1. nothing has died.
2. biowheels are still going.
3. your carbon is changed out regularly.
4. you are not overfeeding.
5. you have not changed your lighting schemes
6. you do regular water changes.
7. have an efficiant running skimmer and it is clean and producing skimmate.
8. do not have any sponges that are collecting debris
After you have done that you have a few options:
1. Take a turkey baster and blow as much cyano off of everything as you can and then do an emergency 50% water change, sucking all of the debris out of the tank
2. Scooping as much of it out as you can manually.
3. Using a product called Chemiclean (follow directions very very carefully) (I do not recommend this step)
4. Reduce your lighting while doing all of this.
It sounds like a lot, but it's just mainly common sense on how to solve a cyano problem.

jonthefishguy

snakeblitz, before you open your mouth and stick your foot in it, i think you should do some research a bit more before you start knocking others advice.
"Kalkwasser is most advantageous because it does not add anything to the water that accumulates, it precipitates phosphate from the water, thereby enchancing corals' ability to deposit calcium and it maintains alkalinity." (Bingman 1995)

b bauer

Originally Posted by jonthefishguy
snakeblitz, before you open your mouth and stick your foot in it, i think you should do some research a bit more before you start knocking others advice.
"Kalkwasser is most advantageous because it does not add anything to the water that accumulates, it precipitates phosphate from the water, thereby enchancing corals' ability to deposit calcium and it maintains alkalinity." (Bingman 1995)
when it precipitates the phosphate in the water(clumps it together)is it no longer any harm?I have never tried kalk yet just use an ab mix

reef46

Common guys lets not get uncivil. I really think my lack of skimmer is the cause of this outbreak. I will be getting a new pump this weekend! Anyhoo, To initially remove everything I should just syphon everything out? Should be easy enough. Thanks for your help. and John I have never heard about the kalk before. Sounds interesting I'll have to read up on it somemore. Thanks again to all of you.