bak pak flood

boadyboom

Has anyone had there bak pak 2r plug up or soemthing to where it overflowed?-- mine has been running for about a week now and luckily i was at home when all of a sudden it started overflowing all over... was to mad to go see why i just unpluged it maybe to morrow morning i will look

[hr]
:confused:

krowleey

the only way that can happen is if a snail gets in the side outtake tube blocking the waterflow. its rare but does happen sometimes and turbo snails love to do it.

I had the same thing happen to me . . . mine was because of the sponge that came with it got clogged (2R model)
Needless to say, that sponge is gone.
I have the bubble trap and that sponge has gotten clogged as well. Can't get rid of that sponge though. I cut an overflow prevention notch in the side to prevent over flows. Except I didnt think of cutting the notch until after about a year or so of dealing with overflows . . . duh. :rolleyes:

do you have the bubble trap?
Thats where I notched it at . . . not on the skimmer itself.

ronipa

Just a note...
It may also overflow if you have added any Stress Coat, etc to the water. You can run the PH but not the skimmer for at least a week after adding these types of products...
What PH do you have on it?
Roni

Originally posted by boadyboom
I dont i was thinking about getting the bbx

[hr]
do you reccomend it?

Personally . . . I would not run a bak pak without one because I hate the film that accumulates on the surface without it.

diddley

what do you think about notching the intake side just a little. i've been worrying about accidently running the powerhead dry if the water level drops below the bbx surface intake. what do you think? all input is appreciated.
also, do all the 2r's have the sponge you're talking about? it is in the 90 degree outlet elbow, correct? mine came assembled and i just tightened the fittings and haven't done an all-out cleaning yet. thanks again

see, I have an older model of the bbx and mine has three holes in the side where you screw in the hand knob to tighten it down and hold it in place so I never have to worry about that. I think that if you drilled a hole of similar size an inch or so above and/or below the existing hole you would not have that problem. A notch would work just as well, but it would have to be a pretty big notch.