bak pak2 not making bubbles, do i have to have the preskimmer box thing?

gfk

i only have a 20 gallon, the preskimmer just looked out of place so i took it out, and now its not even making any bubbles.... what do you guys think, how do i adjust this thing?
ok i didnt have the airvalve hooked up... but it still seems like the bubbles arent making it into the cup, or its loutd etc... what adjustments do you guys have to make yours do whatever it is supposed to do?

fishfreek

Originally Posted by gfk
anyone? when it makes bubbles its really loud, anyone elses like that?
Yah, its a little loud at first, when you have the air valve wide open. After it is broken in, you can close the valve about half way, this helps in the noise department alot. You don't need the bubble trap, the micro bubbles will go away in time.
Do you have the air hose hooked up and the collection cup adjusted just above the water line?

gfk

i have the collection cup just below the water level, and the hose is all the way open right now. good to know about the prefilter, it was too big for my tank

fishfreek

Is the skimmer producing skimmate in the collection cup yet? There are bubbles in the skimmer, right?

gfk

yea, there is some dirt lookin stuff on the top of the collection cup lid (the underside of the lid, inside) but it seems like hte bubbles dont make it into the cup, they just kinda stick out the top of the inlet tube and touch the roof of the collection cup, this right?
you say it will quiet down after a while?

fishfreek

Maybe you should adjust the air intake valve. Close it 3/4 to 1 full turn and see if you accumulate more skimmate. Do you add additives to your tank? This will also effect the preformance of the skimmer.

gfk

no additives, and when i close the valves no foam makes it over the top... i guess ill leave it opened and just close it at night, the tank is next to my bed