BAK PAK2R "little mistake, huge results"

I planned on doing a waterchange and found out after I drained water to top of RIO powerhead on BakPak2R realized I didnt have any premixed water left and I was out of salt-mix. So after waiting over night to go to store I couldnt belive how much more stuff my BakPak skimmed up overnight!!! When I set it up I just copied the way it was on a tank at LFS but it seemed to work wonders the closer it was to the surface. Has anyone else adjusted the RIO (cut the tubing and placed it higher up??) Im not sure exactly where it is supposed to be located in tank. Its been working fine but it just seemed to work alot better higher up. :rolleyes:

jrang

New2Saltwater,
I have the BAKPAK2R on my 30 gallon FOWLR tank and it has been pulling alot of waste(green junk) from the tank.
Quick question, I have the collection cup even with the water level the instructions suggest that you have it 1/8 inch below the water line. What are u doing?
I have to empty the collection cup about every three days.
Also, do you keep the block sponge in the skimmer or did you remove it? I have to clean the thing every two-three weeks because it gets clogged. It's a pain in the butt
:rolleyes:

JRANG the collection cup height is a roll of the dice, I tried the instructions and got alot of water in cup. I get lucky on occasion and get it just right so I get a drier foam. I had the sponge insert in until it clogged and overflowed,now it runs just fine w/out sponge...

New,
You're improved results could possibly be attributed to the fact that your intake (i.e. Rio Powerhead) was closer to the water surface. A problem with the standard BackPAck system is that it draws water from several inches below the surface. If you're skimming below the surface, the surface is often a slick with waste stuffs - This stuff belongs in your collection cup. If you'd like this sort of performance all of the time, you might try their pre-skimmer add-on. While there is a dramatic improvement with this add-on, it does require that you pay closer attention to your water level. If your water evaporates to the point that it is below your pre-filter, the pump may run dry and die. For ythis reason, I used to remove the pre-filter, before going on extended tripe.

Jrang,
That nasty sponge does wonders to reduce the number of bubbles flowing into your tank, but it does get dirty and clog often. If you wish to remove it, you may want to add CPR's bubble trap.

If you'd like to solve both problems simultaneously, you can buy their BBX combination unit.

No, I'm not a CPR employee... I'm a fellow hobbyist that's dealt with both issues. Hope this helps???
[ June 13, 2001: Message edited by: tangs_in_pacifica ]

Hey "Tangs" thanks for all the info :) Ill be purchasing the Bubble trap combo asap!!
I'll also make sure I have enough water ready before I do my next change. :rolleyes:

jrang

I think I am going to remove the sponge next time I clean the skimmer. I think the sponge is supposed to cut down on bubbles returning into the tank. Bubbles are not an issue for me w/the tank so I am going to remove it!!
As far as the height of the RIO, I have the pre-skimmer hooked up so I am thinking the height wouldnt be an issue for me. The pre-skimmer actually is filtering the water in from the top of the tank.
I am curious why it worked better for you when you did the water change.
It's a never ending learning experience!
Thanks for the advice :)

jrang

Tangs,
OOOPS, Didnt see your post before I replyed.
You also have to keep an eye on the little sponge in the pre-skimmer It can get clogged on occasion.
Thanks

fugu

i am also using a bakpak2 skimmer on a lightly stocked 170gal 8to be replaced soon) the skimmer cannot be setup as per instructions, in my opinion. this is a design that works but needs to be customized to suit different set-ups. i leave the airline controller off and the skimmer is placed about 2-3" above the water level, i do not see how you can get the collection cup 1/8" below the surface, maybe i am doing something wrong but so far i have not been too happy with this product. hope u have better luck,