Balancing the return and supply on sump

nanoman1

This is driving me crazy
. I'm putting a 10g sump on my 14 g tank and i just cannot balance out the return and supply. Im using a rio 1400 as my return and i built a diy overflow with 1/2 inch pvc and plumbed it down with 1/2 inch. Both the return and supply have check valves, can anyone help me out!?!?

tim514

Maybe the 1/2" pipe isn't big enough. I don't know what the rio 1400 puts out for flow rate but it sounds like it might be too much for the small tank. Try a different pump if you have any spares. But that's just my opinion. Also if you put a ball valve on the return you can close it to reduce the flow rate.

btldreef

I agree with Tim about the ball valve.
Also, how long did you let it run for? My 155 took hours to balance itself out between the tank and sump, it was making my husband and I crazy.

nanoman1

Thanks for the advice everyone you helped a lot
Well the rio 1400 im pretty sure is 375 gph and also i know that the out from the siphon exceeds the pump in terms of gph. If i have researched correctly, shouldn't you only have to adjust the valve on the return and that will balance out your out in turn?
Also...i do have ball valves on them, must have had some sort of freudian slip when i said check valve

geoj

Here is a pic of a return with two ball valves in correct use. Note how they divert the flow to the sump and so does not put back presser on the line.
Attachment 236744Thank you Melevs for the info and pic

nanoman1

I'm happy to announce that my problem is solved
Just messed around with it for a couple hours and finally got it
Thanks everyone!