Ball Valve? What is this?

double_g2k

Can someone explain this term to me and what it means? A picture might be of great assistance too. I'm told a ball valve will help reduce flow on a return pump from the Sump , how can this be accomplished?
Talking about a 120 gallon setup with a 3' stockman overflow pipe with a 40 gallon Sump . Is a mag24 too much return flow for this setup? Where can I grab specs on this unit? Sorry for these basic questions yet I am new to the world of the sump and overflow and will be purchasing these in a few days!
Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

topofsteel

I'm going to use a Mag-24, with a ball valve, for a 125 gallon. How many GPH is your tank drainage rated for?
product data:
*Link Removed*

double_g2k

I will get back to you with the GPH, but I see that the mag24 is rated for 2400 gph...
Thanks for the quick replies folks I will post the GPH in the morning.

bojik

Pick one up and look through it its called a ball valve for an obvious reason :) Its the style of valve mechanism .

joncat24

if the tank is dual overflows I would say to get a mag 18. If it is single overflow I would say mag 12. Either way I would put a ball valve inline on the return to regulate the flow. I say mag 18 cause it is cheaper and why get a 24 if you cant use all the flow. No sense in getting a large pump if you have to cut it back...IMO

double_g2k

I appreciate the input everyone :) The reason I ask about the mag24 is because the seller of the setup that we are discussing is offering me a mag24 for $100 Canadian. The overflow is a single style with a 3 inch drainpipe and a stockman durso. Think a store will trade a brand new mag24 for a new mag 12 even trade?

joncat24

if it is a 3" drain the mag 24 should be fine. My drains are only 1" which is why i said mag 12. .....

double_g2k

Here's an idea... I take the return pipe from the mag 24, and split it into two pipes and opposite ends of the tank, this way it's sort of like a closed loop. Seeing as I have the 3' drain, this might eliminate any or some powerheads? IS this too good to be true?

earlybird

Originally Posted by double_g2k
Here's an idea... I take the return pipe from the mag 24, and split it into two pipes and opposite ends of the tank, this way it's sort of like a closed loop. Seeing as I have the 3' drain, this might eliminate any or some powerheads? IS this too good to be true?
I was thinking the same thing but you may want to consider adding powerheads to eliminate dead spots which could reduce problem algae.

earlybird

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
It's just a valve you can put inline with your return piping to reduce the flow.

Can the pump handle a reduction of flow?

viper_930

It's best to restrict the flow as little as possible because it increases strain on the pump. I would even suggest increasing the size of the return piping to 1 1/2" or so.

topofsteel

I went with the Mag-24 because with a 5' head height it's only rated at 1700gph. My tank is rated for 1200 but I'm planing on getting a little more flow out of duel standpipes, Iv read that they can increase you flow signifantly if tuned right.

double_g2k

Thanks all! It sounds like DUAL 1 and 1/2 piping is the way to go and adding powerheads to eliminate the dead spots is the way to go. I understand that limiting the pump through a ball valve strains the unit, and a dual return pipe sounds like a good way to offset using a ball valve more than I would feel comfortable limiting the flow. If we start off at 2400gph on a 1 inch return pipe what kind of gph would i be looking at with dual 1 and 1/2 inch return pipes allowing for three elbows on each and two 4 foot tall return pipes? Math wizards I need a a little help, or at least the method of which to calculate.