ballast from lowes?

floorguy

Has anyone ever tried to use a lowes or homedepot, electronic metal halid ballast? If so could you comment on it I am going to try them and before i spend the money thought I would ask. I am going to get fish store bulbs. Thanks in advance.

thegrog

If they are rated at the same wattage and same bulb type, they will work.
The problem is that they usually have the ballast connected to the fixture. This is heavy, big and ugly if you ask me. If you are going to use them for a coral grow-out tank then fine. I just would not use them for a display tank as I feel they are an eyesore. That is just my opinion though.

floorguy

Originally Posted by TheGrog
If they are rated at the same wattage and same bulb type, they will work.
The problem is that they usually have the ballast connected to the fixture. This is heavy, big and ugly if you ask me. If you are going to use them for a coral grow-out tank then fine. I just would not use them for a display tank as I feel they are an eyesore. That is just my opinion though.
No they sell just the ballast, I plan on building my own hood with reflector and ballast will be mounted under stand as how are my vho ballast right now. the reason I asked is. fish store ballast $100++++ lowes ballast $25 bucks get the point, and I know ya get what you pay for but there is not one single one of us here that thinks these fish supply stores are not ripping us off so i will chance it and fill you guys in on progress when it happens.

oceana

can you do me a favor and go buy it tonight and build your light set up right now so i can know if i want to do it lol. jk
keep us updated and if you have time list what you had to buy with models numbers so if it works myself and otehrs can try it

acrylic51

Yeah did they work???? I've seen them but never thought to much about them....What type of ballasts were you looking at your LFS for $100 or so??? If they were magnetic way over priced......Electronic, not a bad price IMO. I don't think the ones at Lowes are electronic though.....