Ballasts Question

I had a quesiton about ballasts. I was looking at the Ice Cap Ballasts and they are expensive. Wondering if the ballasts at HD will work as a replacement, like a 55-75 watt ballast. I think it was around $25. Will this work. Any more ideas on making a DIY lighting system cheaply?

melbournefl

comparing Ice-Cap to normal output ballasts that is. Ice-Cap ballasts are for VHO bulbs, bulbs that run up to 110 watts or so. Yes you can use normal output ballasts, like those sold in HD and Lowes but they will only drive normal output bulbs, like 40 watts for a 48" bulb, thus it takes about 2 1/2 NO bulbs to generate the same wattage as 1 VHO bulb, which also results in 2 1/2 times the heat and space used.
HTH
Later,
Paul

slothy

check out hellolights.com, i have one of their VHO ballast/end cap setups and love it

I have a 30G tank and was looking into the "Lights of America" lights. Will these do for aesticitic apperance and some corals?

bang guy

Originally posted by SaltwaterDude
I have a 30G tank and was looking into the "Lights of America" lights. Will these do for aesticitic apperance and some corals?

Not really IMO. The color is fairly white but it seems to mute the colors for some reason. Works well for grow-out and Caulerpa, but it would need some type of supplement IMO for a display tank.