BAMBOO AND ????

davefromdc

I HAVE A 150 GAL THAT I WANT TO SET UP WITH A BAMBOO BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT CAN I HAVE AS A TANK MATE. I ASSUME NO TRIGGERS BUT WHAT ABOUT TANGS. SPECIFICALLY SOHOLTANGS. AND HOW BIG WOULD THE TANG HAVE TO BE IF THE BAMBOO WAS 12INCHES. ALSO WHEN STARTING A TANK FOR LARGE AGGRESSIVE FISH DO THE SAME CYCLING RULES APPLY. IF I CYCLE WITH 5 DAMSELS WILL THE BACTERIA LOAD BE ABLE TO HANDLE THE AMMONIA LOAD OF A SHARK? AND ARE THEY HARDY. ANY OTHER INFO WOULD BE HELPFUL. AND IF THE BAMBOO IS TOTALLY OUT OF THE QUESTON I WOULD SETTLE FOR INFO ON WHAT TO KEEP WITH THE SOHOL, AND WHAT KIND OF DECOR TO USE.
THANKS

i don't know about your tang. but what i do know is that i am cycling my 305g tank with 1 huge niger trigger and 1 huge clown trigger. they are from one of my other tanks. but the tank will ultimatly hold stuff from a 30 in bamboo shark and a 30 in daragon moray to a 15 in emperor angel and a 10 inch harlequin tusk. another method u might wanna try if you don't have big triggers or can't afford a big trig. is to get some uncured lr or 8 or 9 store purchased jumbo shrimp i mean the ones you or i would eat. but i don't know about your damsels either cause the only thing i have used damsels to cycle was my first fo tank which was only 55g and the biggest thing it ever saw was a bicolor angel.

novice150

Have you thought about an eel, and or, a volitan lion? I think they would make interesting tank mates. Or a puffer would be cool too. Some people will tell you that a 150 is too small for the bamboo's. And in my opinion, they are right and wrong. The tank will probably be too small for the shark to live its whole life in, but for a while.... If you want more info on the specifics, do a search on bamboo sharks. If that doesn't fill you in, try asking RISC. I have a bamboo shark egg that I'm trying to hatch right now. And its in a 100. But I'm in the process of finishing my basement and my plans include a big tank. So if you plan to ever upgrade (I know, everyone says they do) then I say go for it. Hope that helped.

tommy127

HELP! I just bought a bamboo shark im freaking out though when i hold a flashlight up to the egg all i see is a little blob! does that mean that it is dead?! also when i put my shark egg in the tank it was exposed to air for about 15 seconds will that kill it because i know exposing it to air can kill the egg i need help ASAP please respond as soon as possible

db9181

First of all - Cycling w/ live fish is never a good idea - You're only making the fish suffer (possibly kill them). Take some frozen jumbo shrimp - for this tank size, a half dozen to a dozen.... put them in the tank and leave them alone for several days. The shrimp decaying with start adding bacteria to your tank. Test your water. You will eventually get an ammonia skip and can take the shrimp out and dispose of them. Then its a waiting game... theres no specific time... it all depends on YOUR system. Continue testing.... when ammonia, nitrite and nitrates are all zero, then the tank is cycled.

jerth6932

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB9181 http:///t/5734/bamboo-and#post_3428132
First of all - Cycling w/ live fish is never a good idea - You're only making the fish suffer (possibly kill them). Take some frozen jumbo shrimp - for this tank size, a half dozen to a dozen.... put them in the tank and leave them alone for several days. The shrimp decaying with start adding bacteria to your tank. Test your water. You will eventually get an ammonia skip and can take the shrimp out and dispose of them. Then its a waiting game... theres no specific time... it all depends on YOUR system. Continue testing.... when ammonia, nitrite and nitrates are all zero, then the tank is cycled.
Look at the original date of this thread........ I think he's past the cycling period now......

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerth6932 http:///t/5734/bamboo-and#post_3428135
Look at the original date of this thread........ I think he's past the cycling period now......

2001...Tommy...if your blob moves it is alive.. Shark eggs are like seahorses in magazines, they sell them knowing they are doomed to die.

aquaknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy127 http:///t/5734/bamboo-and#post_3428124
HELP! I just bought a bamboo shark im freaking out though when i hold a flashlight up to the egg all i see is a little blob! does that mean that it is dead?! also when i put my shark egg in the tank it was exposed to air for about 15 seconds will that kill it because i know exposing it to air can kill the egg i need help ASAP please respond as soon as possible
A picture of the egg, lit softly from behind, would be very informative.
Yes, exposing the egg to air for extended periods can be deadly. 15seconds isn't really all that long, but shark eggs are vented to allow fresh seawater to enter. If the egg was tilted in the right, well wrong I guess, direction, the egg could have drained and air entered. The air if any entered, it would most likely escape once the egg was submerged, but its definitely possible that some air could become trapped.
As for as the "blob," as I said above, a picture would definitely help us determine where your at.... Guessing that maybe you have an egg that's very early on in its life cycle. Typically you can see the developing shark embryo, and the yoke inside the egg, feeding the shark.