Bamboo shark 911

bombshell2

I just bought a bamboo shark egg tuesday and i think it is dead what could i do, im a beginner to this so im really nervous about loosing my first big investment... should i open up the egg.. it hasnt moved in hoursssssssss

bronco300

what do you mean it hasnt moved, you shined a light inside and the baby isnt moving, or the egg....the egg shouldnt move...they put it on clips...i wouldnt think itd be a good idea to open it, but surely AW or crizmy can help

reeftank27

i hope you are kiding, if you open the egg it will die for sure, and the shark will not always move and its not like the egg is going to be swimming, hold the egg up to the light and see if he is breathing, if not then you have a dead shark, i just got a baby today he is 2 days old and is in my 125, he looks so tiny. lol

aw2

Dont remove the tank from the water, what ever you do.
You can use a flash light and shine it on the egg...find the head of the shark and check to see if it's gills are moving. Shark embryos are not very active, when still inside the egg.
If the gills are still moving, you're ok...if they're not, it's dead. Also, keep in mind that sharks are not rapid breathers...you'll have to watch for a minute or two, to check for gill movement.

bombshell2

nooo i have it clipped to the inside of the tank near the top... i havent moved it and the pet store said he was likely to hatch soon since all the other ones they sold did... he is big and was verrrry active last night.. this morning he wasnt and when i got home he wasnt, i tilted the egg to see if he would move and he just flopped to the bottom.. sorry i asked a stupid question but i just dont know i bought him with extra income tax money even though money is tight because i love the saltwater aquarium... i just want him to live :(

bombshell2

Ok I looked at it with the light and i cant see anything... its like curled up in the fetal position but there is an air bubble in the egg .... how did that get there and is that why it died?

aw2

Originally Posted by Bombshell2
Ok I looked at it with the light and i cant see anything... its like curled up in the fetal position but there is an air bubble in the egg .... how did that get there and is that why it died?

Did you look for gill movement?

aw2

They're always curled up like a "U".
When the egg was bagged at the store or when you put it into your tank, was it exposed to air?

bombshell2

not that i know of i took it right out and put it in the water asap but that same day he was going crazy in there... i know he was like a U when i bought him but then his tail went all the way to the top.. now its hung closer to his head... and when i moved the egg to see if he was still alive he just went BLOOP to the other side.. no other movement besides what i induced
IM REALLY SAD!!!!

mile_high

bombshell please clarify your post . what makes you say its not moving ? You need to hold it up to a light and look for gill movement

bombshell2

should i go ahead and try to cut it out of the egg? when i called the lfs this afternoon the lady said it was just being lazy and to let it go.... but its dead i think

mile_high

DO NOT CUT IT OUT LEAVE IT BE.
If it's not dead cutting it out is a bad thing. Leave it be and check it again in the morning. Does it stink? If it's dead it will stink bad . What else is in the tank with it? what are your water peramiters at? do you have a grounding probe in the water?

bronco300

would it be a bad idea to try and move the egg around a bit so the sharks moves some so you can get a better view of the gills

bombshell2

I cant smell it... I just got my water tested today and it was perfect, no grounding probe i dont know what that is... I have 2 clown fish, 3 damsels and 2 shrimp, i tried to move it around a bit and i cant get it to where i can see it, one side of the egg has 2 clear spots the other side is full of algae