Bamboo Shark Set Up

butters

I was thinking of getting a bamboo shark egg, but i hear they are a 7 out of 10 chance of living when hatched, i was gonna get one that was already hatched [so about a 1-2 maybe 3 weeks old] and put him in my 120g
i also heard that min is 180, is it okay to have a baby in 120 for a few weeks/months???
I really dont know if i plan to keep him/her, i was thinking of raising it for a little then selling it, [maybe try to breed] and then getting another one, only reason id buy another one and sell it then another and sell is because id love to watch them grow.
most likely when i get the first shark ill be glued to it and i prolly wont sell it.
i need some info on these guys...
food
lighting
temps
behavior!
how much rock
etc....
i just want to make sure i have everything set in order.

limitedslip

120g will be fine for a good while if you are getting from an egg, but I think a 180 is even to small for a bamboo, as when it approaches 2 to 3 feet in length, itll have trouble turning around, that is why I would recommend a square tank (whoses sides are greater than the sharks length) or a tub to anyone who gets a shark. If you plan to breed, nothing less than a 400 gallon tub.
First, What else is in your tank? If there is nothing, It will fine, If you have other fish in there, do some research and check if they are compatable, because some people have problems w/ shark/fish combos. Just research research research compatabilities is all I can say.
Food:
At a younge age, You could try feeding it lil pieces of krill or silverside, but if its not accepting those, or having trouble eating them, your best bet would be to put a cube of mysis by it, it should be easier for it to digest the mysis, and from my experience, its your best bet to intise it to eat larger food early on.
Lighting:
Depending on how you want your tank to look, and what you have in it, can change your lighting preferences. Stuff like MH and T5s can be used, but they need to be positioned high above the tank (at least 12inches +, I run my MH at 22 inches). If the lighting is to intense for the shark, they shark will react adversly, If its only a shark tank, the less lighting you use the better, running a simple flouresent and some moonlighting would work perfectly fine. Remember, Bamboos are, for the most part, Nocturnal.
temp.
Again, this really depends on your shark, Most sharks like colder temperatures, The range from 72 degrees to 78 degrees should be fine. My shark seems to prefer it at 80 degrees, so, I would advice you do it in the 72 to 78 range as that is usually the norm for them, and what I have seen most people running.
Behavior:
Bamboos, for the most part, are nocturnal. Expect to see your shark hiding or hugging a wall of the tank while your lights are on. They are also bottom dwellers, so dont expect them to be swimming lots and lot through your tank, they will pretty much live on the bottom of your tank, and kinda hover around at night between structures.
Rock:
Do not add alot, but, add a large enough structure for it to hide, most or all of its body behind. If you do not care too much about appearence, you could just use 1/2 of a large diameter pvc pipe. If your shark doesnt like its structure, itll be sure to tell you my either knocking it down, or moving it around
. Make sure your substarte is sugarsized, as anything larger might cause the shark to get irritation upon its belly.
Id recommend HEAVY filtration, as sharks can be messy when they eat, and even more messy when it comes out the other end
. You will need a protein skimmer. Id definetatly recommoned a wetdry, not only to put ur skimmer in, but to pick up alot of the excess pieces of food the shark doesnt eat, I seem to be constantly picking lil chunks of krill and silveriside outa my wetdry every few days

just remember, the 120 will work for a tank for while, but it wont last forever, You will eventually need to upgrade or get rid of the shark when it gets to large. Id recommoned you ask your LFS you are gettin the shark from if they would buy the shark back if it gets to large, Just in case when the time comes to upgrade, and you cant afford, or have trouble getting it together.
Hope that helps

ophiura

Why do you think you can sell it? Bad news is larger bamboo sharks are a dime a dozen, and few people can keep them. Please do not do this, IMO, it is very irresponsible.
Get one if you can keep it to adult size - in a 400g or so tank or pond.
It will, IMO - and from experience with at least 2 dozen newly hatched sharks - outgrow the 120 quite rapidly. At the aquarium I worked at, we were over run with sharks that were 18 or so inches within the year. So don't count on another hobbyist buying it, don't even think you can take it to a public aquarium, and most LFS will not take what they don't feel they can sell either.
Either know you can keep it now, or be prepared to build a system for it later...otherwise, don't buy it. Harsh but it is true.

limitedslip

I said that, because a LFS here says they will buy sharks that outgrow tanks lol, since they usually can sell em just as fast as you bring em in. Not every area is the same ><.

ophiura

It may be very regional, or it may be a sign of the LFS selling to anyone who waves cash around. When I worked in an LFS, it was hard to move bamboos and epaulettes, because we actually wanted to know what size tank people had.
It is never something anyone should count on with sharks, IMO. Get one and provide for it, or don't get one. Again, harsh but something people should seriously think about. I do not believe in passing animals around like clothes. But that is me.

limitedslip

thats why I said, make sure itll take it back as a failsafe lol, just incase something happens, like a family issue, where you no longer have time or funds to build the tank. I wouldnt advocate gettin a shark unless you planning on building a pond either.

brenden

I agree very irresponsible to purchase a Shark with only the intent to sell it and purchase another. Its a big commitment and ensure you are willing to do so before you make the purchase. A Brown Banded Bamboo will require atleast a 500 gallon pond when full grown.

brenden

That coming from the guy who blindly purchases an un-identified species of Wobbegong which will reach about 10', 4' roughly it is first year and a bit. And all you had to say for it was " I will hand it over to my LFS for their pond".
My comment wasn't refered towards you, it was refered towards the person who started the thread stating he is just looking to sell the Shark afterwards. And ReefCentral is not so great, 99% of the members their know nothing about elasmobranches, its a great reef site and marine fish site, but lacks extreme knowledge in the elasmobranch category.

limitedslip

I dont have a wobbygong, I have a banded bamboo. See get, your facts staight before you try to insult someone.
you are confusing me w/ goodwin9. if you knew me, you would know im in the process of piecing together a 400 gallon pond for my bamboo.
its people like you who jump blindly into situations to insult people that is kinda making me turn to reefcentral, community is a lot nicer. they acutally have rules against post like the one you just posted.

ledzep fan

Brenden said:
That coming from the guy who blindly purchases an un-identified species of Wobbegong which will reach about 10', 4' roughly it is first year and a bit. And all you had to say for it was " I will hand it over to my LFS for their pond".My comment wasn't refered towards you, it was refered towards the person who started the thread stating he is just looking to sell the Shark afterwards. And ReefCentral is not so great, 99% of the members their know nothing about elasmobranches, its a great reef site and marine fish site, but lacks extreme knowledge in the elasmobranch category.
Brenden said:
Going out and insulting someone like that is very uncalled for...you don't know his plans for the future with the shark he has or the tank size he might plan to get in the future. I see you have very little posts, (i'm not saying that you lack in experience but you may not know or heard on what plans people have) Just saying.....

brenden

Limitedslip - You are correct, I did mistake you for Goodwin and I take full responsibility for that. My apologies, I have seen your threads before and I think its great your going the extra step to ensure your Shark and Ray is going to be able to thrive. However this still does not change my view points on people purchasing fish knowing their only intent is still see them when they grow to large. I just mind that irresponsible. Once again sorry for the confusion.
LedZepFan - One does not need to have a high post count to have knowledge. Just becasue I may not post alot on this forum does not speak for anything. I would rather not get into the whole bragging battle of who has more experience than who and who has more knowledge than who but I am sure when push comes to shove many people could vouche for my knowledge when it comes to capitive keeping of elasmobranches.
Anyhow my apologies once again to Limitedslip.

ledzep fan

It doesn't matter how much knowledge you have I just wanted to protect fellow members. No hard feelings? Sorry if we got off the wrong foot

michaeltx

Originally Posted by Limitedslip
. they acutally have rules against post like the one you just posted.

so do we and Brendon this is not the place for comments like that If you have real advice please give it if you come on just to chastise someone for their decision than please dont post it. things like this cause the tension and misunderstanding in the forums that arent good for the community or the poster!! that goes to ledzep fan too.
limited slip the choice is yours to stay or go but I am a member there to and I am over here by choice there is a thread here and there that comes up like this but its not an indicator of the entire board. If there are any posts that you see that are getting out of hand post a link int he new hobbiest forum and report it we will take a look at it.
Please stay on topic!! The original poster hasnt even replied back to his thread.
I was thinking of getting a bamboo shark egg, but i hear they are a 7 out of 10 chance of living when hatched, i was gonna get one that was already hatched [so about a 1-2 maybe 3 weeks old] and put him in my 120g
i also heard that min is 180, is it okay to have a baby in 120 for a few weeks/months???
I really dont know if i plan to keep him/her, i was thinking of raising it for a little then selling it, [maybe try to breed] and then getting another one, only reason id buy another one and sell it then another and sell is because id love to watch them grow.
most likely when i get the first shark ill be glued to it and i prolly wont sell it.
i need some info on these guys...
food
lighting
temps
behavior!
how much rock
etc....
i just want to make sure i have everything set in order.

Mike

krj-1168

While a 120 gallon will work for very small bamboo pups - for maybe about 1 year(til it reachs 18-20"). Long term(For life) most bamboos need at least 400-500 gallons (depending of the species).
Best recommendation - before actually getting the shark - 1.) Do lots of RESEARCH !!! - this means search the net, read magazine articles & Books 2.) Talk to people who know about these species of sharks(their experience will be very helpful) - don't just trust the word of your LFS.
As for requirements such as Food, Water temps(Conditions), Rock work & Filtration. here goes.
Food - juvenile shark need finely cut pieces of Shrimp, Squid, or silversides, with vita/mineral supplement. Use a feeding stick to deliver the food.
Water Conditions - virtually perfect & stable (No Nitrogen - ie 0ppm of nitrate/nitrite/ammonia), Salinity - about 1.021-1.025SG, PH -about 8.0-8.4, Water Temps - 72-81F (22-27C) .
Rock Work - only enough for a hiding place. Need lots of swimming room.
Filtration - Heavy-Duty Filtration - including a LR sump, Refugium, & Protein Skimmer. Also should have a Flow rate that turns the tanks entire volume over at least 5 times per hr.

butters

my g/f started this post. there have been some shark eggs at the LFS for a couple months and they hatched about 3 weeks ago and she has been going nutzo over them. i told her she wouldnt have money to supply them with a larger tank. id like to have one myself but i dont have my own house or even a good enough job to afford a bigger tank lol
maybe one day she can get one...... once she gets the $30.hr job lol

ophiura

Originally Posted by Limitedslip
wow, its like all of you misread what I wrote...Back to reef central I go.
Actually I was replying to the original post. It is pretty clear, I think if you reread it, that I am addressing the person who wrote the post and asking them not to do it. If I was replying to you, I would have quoted you. You have assumed that I was replying to you and maybe somehow disagreeing and that it would be wrong for me to disagree, I guess. I'm not sure. I am merely stating my opinion, I am entitled to it and happen to have strong opinions on this, so
I'm truly confused, but sorry for the misunderstanding.
I don't agree with personal attacks, however. That was uncalled for.
However, with all due respect, I have seen FAR worse at --. Many their do not hesitate to think very very very highly of themselves.
But definitely please don't assume that everyone who posts a different opinion is somehow confronting you, or trying to cause trouble. That is just not the case...its not personal when someone states something different. The accusations thrown at you were obviously different, however (and most unusually) there has been an apology in this case, and that is highly commendable.
You covered issues well, but IMO... the root of this thread is to buy it with the intent of just trading it in...BIG red flag in my book.

mike22cha

Wow, a lot of action going on the thread. It's like --!
A brown banded bamboo isn't a very good shark for beginers because of it's massive size. Rays make much better canidates because they only grow around 2" a year. Research before you jump into anything.

krj-1168

A brown banded bamboo isn't a very good shark for beginers because of it's massive size. Rays make much better canidates because they only grow around 2" a year. Research before you jump into anything.
While actually the Brown-banded Bamboo is considered to be one of the better "beginner"' sharks. But it's the reason - why sharks aren't recommended for novice SW aquarists. But I do agree - before getting any shark as a pet - do your research, first.

mike22cha

Originally Posted by krj-1168
While actually the Brown-banded Bamboo is considered to be one of the better "beginner"' sharks. But it's the reason - why sharks aren't recommended for novice SW aquarists. But I do agree - before getting any shark as a pet - do your research, first.
Well, I disagree with them being a "beginer" shark, IMO.