Bamboo Shark Set Up

mike22cha

Originally Posted by Brenden
But than again you have never owned an elasmobranch ;) Mike
You're right. But that may soon change. ;)

krj-1168

Brown-banded Bamboos are considered - a "beginner" shark -because they are generally easy to get, & easy raise - at least compared with most other sharks.
Still the big problem with this species - and basically any shark you might find in LFS - is that people tend to impulse buy (Very Bad), with doing their research first.
Yes - brown-banded get big - about 40" - but it's very possible to keep one for life -if the owner is willing to do some planning ahead, and have a nice size pond ready for when the shark gets to be 3 ft long.
In terms of Hardiness, and ease to care for a home aquarist - virtually no shark can beat this species, and only about 6 other species can equal it.
That's what I mean by "beginner". Still no one that is a novive with SW aquariums should even consider getting a shark. All sharks & rays must have virtually perfect water conditions. This is a standard which most newbies to SW tanks have serious problems in meeting.That why it's always best to start with species that tend to be a bit more forgive of water conditions.

mike22cha

Originally Posted by krj-1168
Brown-banded Bamboos are considered - a "beginner" shark -because they are generally easy to get, & easy raise - at least compared with most other sharks.
Still the big problem with this species - and basically any shark you might find in LFS - is that people tend to impulse buy (Very Bad), with doing their research first.
Yes - brown-banded get big - about 40" - but it's very possible to keep one for life -if the owner is willing to do some planning ahead, and have a nice size pond ready for when the shark gets to be 3 ft long.
In terms of Hardiness, and ease to care for a home aquarist - virtually no shark can beat this species, and only about 6 other species can equal it.
That's what I mean by "beginner". Still no one that is a novive with SW aquariums should even consider getting a shark. All sharks & rays must have virtually perfect water conditions. This is a standard which most newbies to SW tanks have serious problems in meeting.That why it's always best to start with species that tend to be a bit more forgive of water conditions.
The only problem I have with it being a "beginner" shark is this:
A guy planning on having a 240g or so tank eventualy goes and picks one up, because it is easy to get. Then he realizes that it needs a 400-500g pond. If let's say he got a Marbled Catshark or Coral Catshark, or a Cortez Ray instead, he'd be in good shape. Just my thoughts on that.

limitedslip

"beginner" doesnt mean "small", but sadly, as mike22cha said, some people think it does when they go out and buy fish and such ><. I mean sure, you will get those people who buy it because they like sharks, think its cool to have a shark, or are just plain dumb and wanna see how much they can cram in their tank. All of those people usually have no knowledge about taking care of sharks.
Thats why I am kinda glad sharks have the stigma of "hard to keep" saltwater, even though, from my experience, they are very easy to care for, except for their size and tank requirements upon that. Im glad alot of sites and stores say sharks require "expert" care to be kept in captivity.

krj-1168

While a single Cortez would be fine - for a standard 240 - if there's very little rock work. A Marbled Cat (Atelomycterus macleayi) would be iffy - at best (due to tank width). And a Coral Cat (Atelomycterus marmoratus) would need a wider tank - in the long run.
Which is why I tend to say - standard aquariums are poorly designed for keeping sharks or most rays. When I planning to keep a shark or ray - the tank's dimensions are key.
While a standard 240 gallon tank(8' long x 2' wide x 2' deep) - won't work for a Coral Cat. But a 270 gallon with the following dimensions (6' long x 3' wide x 2' deep) may work - especially for the Coral cat - which only reachs about 27".

krj-1168

"beginner" doesnt mean "small", but sadly, as mike22cha said, some people think it does when they go out and buy fish and such ><. I mean sure, you will get those people who buy it because they like sharks, think its cool to have a shark, or are just plain dumb and wanna see how much they can cram in their tank. All of those people usually have no knowledge about taking care of sharks.
Thats why I am kinda glad sharks have the stigma of "hard to keep" saltwater, even though, from my experience, they are very easy to care for, except for their size and tank requirements upon that. Im glad alot of sites and stores say sharks require "expert" care to be kept in captivity.
This is SO True.
Think about the Fact that many sites list the Nurse Shark(Ginglymostoma cirratum) - as a "beginner" shark. Yet these sharks will eventually reach over 250 lbs, and at least 8-10 ft long. Most Aquarists don't have the room or finances to keep one of these shark for it's entire life(up to 30-40 yrs). Yet, They are called "beginner" sharks - because of their small birth size(10-12") and incredibly hardy nature makes them relatively easy to keep (at least for the 1st year). Nurse are incredibly tough sharks - even capable of tolerating relatively poor water conditions. But this is really a species that should only be kept by someone with room and finances for a swimming pool size shark lagoon (at least 20,000 gallons) - which will allow them to keep the shark for life.
But while a Nurse isn't very practical, a Brown-banded Bamboo is. A 500 or even 1,000 gallon pond is alot easier to build & take care of than a 20,000 gallon Swimming pool size shark lagoon.

mike22cha

Originally Posted by krj-1168
While a single Cortez would be fine - for a standard 240 - if there's very little rock work. A Marbled Cat (Atelomycterus macleayi) would be iffy - at best (due to tank width). And a Coral Cat (Atelomycterus marmoratus) would need a wider tank - in the long run.
Which is why I tend to say - standard aquariums are poorly designed for keeping sharks or most rays. When I planning to keep a shark or ray - the tank's dimensions are key.
While a standard 240 gallon tank(8' long x 2' wide x 2' deep) - won't work for a Coral Cat. But a 270 gallon with the following dimensions (6' long x 3' wide x 2' deep) may work - especially for the Coral cat - which only reachs about 27".
Not saying exactly 240g but people planning on getting a large tank. Not a pond. Most people would rather have a tank than a pond, unless you're serious about keeping sharks.

krj-1168

Not saying exactly 240g but people planning on getting a large tank. Not a pond. Most people would rather have a tank than a pond, unless you're serious about keeping sharks.
Which is why - no one should get a Pet Shark - unless they are very serious about keeping it(for it's life). And are 110% commited to doing what's best to care for it.