Bamboo Shark Update

fraggle_a

Well, Hes still in the 10Gallon right now.
He has two eggs for freinds right now.
The Damsel..... well, uh, "Elvis" got eaten is seems. :) oops. Teehehe.
Anyway!.
Hes off the Ghost shrimp. He gets them for a treat now.
Hes on Frozen Squid.
He takes it from the surface too!!.
Its so cool to plop the food in and watch him "Smell" the water.
The two eggs are doing good too. Developing slowly.
In a week, we are moving home so I can setup the bigger tank for the sharks.

krj-1168

WHAT? - A bamboo pup in a 10 gallon tank - NOT GOOD. It needs a much larger tank - A.S.A.P.
Even a newly hatched bamboo pup should be in nothing less than a 40-45 gallon breeder (36"L x 18"W x16"H). Even that size tank would only last a single pup - about 6 months. After which time you will have to upgrde to much larger tank.
Remember - sharks need nearly prefect water quality - which is very hard to do in any SW tank less than 20 gallons. Also they need room to move around and room to grow.

He has posted this before and everyone told him the same thing. He thinks that its ok in the 10g and all.. Seems to just be looking for attention. Dont give it to him.. He is one of the um... "smart" Ones on this site. I mean really anyone in there right mind would not keep a shark and 2 eggs???!! WTF? in a 10 g tank.. O ya I forgot he actually had 2!!! in the 10g but one died.. Said "it would not eat"

fraggle_a

Actualy.
Im out to hatch the eggs in the 10g.
Im not convinced the eggs are upset about the lack of space.
Hatched, boos are less than 4" in length.
In farms they are kept in 45 gallon tubs until they are moved into transit in 5 gallon containers and then end up in 5 - 8 gallon section tanks in the LFS.
A small boo can happily live in less than 20g tank for upto 6 months... provided filtration and food are carefuly monitored.
Sharks are not as delicate as a lot of reef fish.
This shark is happy, healthy and cant wait to move home and get his 45 shallow.
I definatly suggest that people do more research before attempting to comment on someones setup.
If anyone who critisized the size of the tank were right. The shark would have died by now.
Since he is still alive and healthy, I suggest you rethink your sources and keep your derogatory comments to yourself. You just show the depth of knowlege you really have on the subject.
Its a hobby.
I tend to talk with the Pros who study, swim and raise these creatures for a living.

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by Fraggle_a
http:///forum/post/2768284
Actualy.
In farms they are kept in 45 gallon tubs until they are moved into transit in 5 gallon containers and then end up in 5 - 8 gallon section tanks in the LFS.
A small boo can happily live in less than 20g tank for upto 6 months... provided filtration and food are carefuly monitored.
I definatly suggest that people do more research before attempting to comment on someones setup.
If anyone who critisized the size of the tank were right. The shark would have died by now.
Since he is still alive and healthy, I suggest you rethink your sources and keep your derogatory comments to yourself. You just show the depth of knowlege you really have on the subject.
Its a hobby.
I tend to talk with the Pros who study, swim and raise these creatures for a living.

people can live a long time strapped to a chair over a piss pot in a dark room too...

krj-1168

Hmmm ... Just because LFSs do something doesn't mean that it's right or ethical. In fact many seem to be only in it for the money. So you really can't say they have the best interest of the shark or other fish.
As for the other stuff you said - I'm not going to comment on it other than to say - it's very obvious that your the one that need to do some research.

crimzy

Originally Posted by Fraggle_a
http:///forum/post/2768284
Actualy.
Its a hobby.
Most sharks are not kept in 5 gallon sections at the LFS I go to. If I ever did see that, I'd never go back. In fact the smallest I've ever seen an LFS keep a shark in was about 40-50 gallons.
Do me a favor and tell me where you've researched that a shark can live in a 10-20 or even 45 gallon tank. I'd like to see those sources. Scott Michael, who is generally accepted to be one of the foremost experts in sharks and rays (and also generally underestimates the minimum tank size for most species) suggests that a pup "can" be housed alone in a tank as small as 55 gallons to facilitate their feeding.
Truly, keeping a shark alive for the couple of weeks that you have shows nothing. Most people are looking to keep their fish alive for years and don't measure success in a matter of a few weeks. Not to mention that you've already killed one of your sharks with this silly setup. And besides, even if the animal does survive, does that mean that your treatment is ethical?
Realistically, what is your plan for the future of these 3 sharks? Do you have the 400 gallon tank necessary to house them for life? Do you have the $10,000.00 plus that it's going to take for a decent, long term setup (plus $400 plus per month for the expenses)? Nope.... the reality is that you're just an immature child who thinks that having sharks is "super cool".
Nobody's going to change your mind here because it's pretty clear that you're a child. It's kids like you that give the responsible teens a bad rap. Good luck and fortunately the species that you're abusing can be tank bred. Just to be consistent with your attitude, why don't you go kick your dog cause that would be cool too.

Edit... just looked at your profile and you're not even a child. I was giving you too much credit in the post above.

1journeyman

Nothing good can come of this thread.
It's your tank, no one can make you do anything different.
Feel free to PM me the links to the "experts" you've talked to that agree this habitat is adequate for a shark. I'll happily edit this thread to put in the information.
Understand; This forum and community is full of members who are firm believers in the ethical treatment of the creatures we house in our tanks. You'll not find a lot of support for housing fish in tanks where they barely have room to turn around.