Bamboo Shark

arasa

I am setting up a 400 gallon aquarium for a bamboo shark. Before I buy it, I want to make sure if the aquarium size is appropriate for this type of shark. Also are there any other fish I can keep in this aquarium, perhaps other predators?
I have checked various websites, and some mention they are experts only. Is this partially because of inducing in feeding, or are there other problems as well such as survival rate in captivity?
Although on a side note, some common websites not to mention say the most irrational suggestions such as a 75 gallon for a stingray (correct me if I'm wrong)
Thanks

rldavisou

I don't own a shark, but as I understand it, they are listed as expert only because they require exact water params. I read on Wet Web Media (sorry, I don't know if the moderators will remove that reference) that their physiology (body chemistry) requires it. Pretty much the only detail I remember is that they require large, frequent water changes and constant, exact salinity. There are others here that know A LOT more than me.

aw2x3

Good on you, for researching and wanting a proper habitat, before impulse buying a shark.
Most of the time, you'll see expert only, if you're buying the egg casing and going to hatch the shark. 50% - 75% of pups, hatched in home aquaria, do not eat and eventually starve to death. If you can find a specimen that's already hatched and guaranteed eating (have them feed it, at the LFS, to make sure) then you stand a MUCH better chance of survival.
You need to design your 400gal so that it is a long, deep (front to back) tank...height isn't that important.

el guapo

Your definatly taking the right first step as far as asking questions before you puchase a shark . As AW2 said its better to buy a pup thats already been hatched . Make sure its eatting when you buy it . Have them feed it for you .
Long and wide is a good plan when building a tank . But keep in mind that you will need to take precuations to make sure it isn't so shallow that your shark is in danger of jumping out by accident .
Water quality is of the utmost importance . Sharks are very picky about water quality . Nitrates nitrites and amonnia are very dangerous to sharks . They will cause your shark to become ill and stop feeding .
Salinity levels should not fluctuate at all . An automatic top off is almost a must . If the SG rollercoasters your shark will again become ill and stop feeding .
Before adding your shark be sure to check for stray voltage in the water . A ground probe is inexpensive and will save a lot of headaches. Again if there is stray voltage the shark will more than likely stop eating become ill and die .
As far as tankmates . . . Its kind of hit and miss . Some for sure fish to stay away from are puffers,triggers , some tangs and damsels. They tend to nip at sharks fins and eyes . Smaller eels will be a good choice as well as a few of the groupers and of course stingrays are compatable . Avoid small fish as they will more than likely be picked off as food .
Hope this helps .

S

skyhigh222

If you can make them eat, the they are as hardy as moray eels

el guapo

I would definatly disagree with that . Morays are fairly easy and can with stand fluctuations a lot better than bamboo sharks .

arasa

I was looking into the brown banded bamboo shark or perhaps the coral cat shark. I looked up some setups on youtube and came across a video of someone keeping these bamboo sharks with goldfish and platies in a freshwater tank!! How cruel.
I was wondering if i can use pieces of slate as a place for them to rest on, while still providing sand on perhaps the other half of the aquarium?
Finally,just out of curiosity, are there any species of marine sharks that do stay smaller than these?

Originally Posted by arasa
http:///forum/post/2666643
I was looking into the brown banded bamboo shark or perhaps the coral cat shark. I looked up some setups on youtube and came across a video of someone keeping these bamboo sharks with goldfish and platies in a freshwater tank!! How cruel.
I was wondering if i can use pieces of slate as a place for them to rest on, while still providing sand on perhaps the other half of the aquarium?
Finally,just out of curiosity, are there any species of marine sharks that do stay smaller than these?
The Coral Catshark(average 24" max 27") and the Marbled Catshark(average 21" max 24") are the smallest that are easily avaible in the aquarium trade.
Then you have Arabian(average 25", max 30") and Gray Bamboos(around 25" avg, 30" max) which are smaller than Brown Banded Bamboos(average 35-37", max 40").

krj-1168

Yeah - Got to agree. the best choices for a 400 gallon tank - is either one of the Coral/Marbled Catsharks (Genus Atelomycterus), a small Bamboo Species - such as the Gray or Arabian Bamboos or even one of the small Eppies such as the Freycinet's (that is if you can fins one). All tend to stay in the 24-30" size range.
So long as the tank has a 24 sq.ft. footprint (8' long x 3' wide) - you should be ok.
For a White-spotted Bamboo - your better off with at least a 480 gallon (8'L x 4'W x2' H). And for a Brown Banded Bamboo or Epaulette - your really need a tank of at least 600 gallons (10'L x 4' W x 2' H).

tonysi

First off i just wanna say sorry to thread jack but I'm just wondering if a strawberry hermit crab, sally light foot, other large hermit would be all right with a bamboo.More or less would they bother the shark?She leaves the small blue legs alone and they leave her alone.

Originally Posted by TonySi
http:///forum/post/2673888
First off i just wanna say sorry to thread jack but I'm just wondering if a strawberry hermit crab, sally light foot, other large hermit would be all right with a bamboo.More or less would they bother the shark?She leaves the small blue legs alone and they leave her alone.
Inverts aren't a good idea with sharks and rays unless you want the shark or ray to eat it.

el guapo

The larger straberry hermits should be alright as they are big enough to fend off even the toughest of fish .Mine have no problems wading into the middle of the triggers and puffers to steal food .

tonysi

Originally Posted by EL GUAPO
http:///forum/post/2674008
The larger straberry hermits should be alright as they are big enough to fend off even the toughest of fish .Mine have no problems wading into the middle of the triggers and puffers to steal food .
I guess I'm just more worried about the crabs bothering her cause alot of times she likes to just hang out and not swim around for a while.
Originally Posted by Sooner_Reefer

http:///forum/post/2673983
Inverts aren't a good idea with sharks and rays unless you want the shark or ray to eat it.
My shark is all right with small blue legged hermits she hasn't bothered any of them.I guess i keep her well fed.

Originally Posted by TonySi
http:///forum/post/2674029
I guess I'm just more worried about the crabs bothering her cause alot of times she likes to just hang out and not swim around for a while.
My shark is all right with small blue legged hermits she hasn't bothered any of them.I guess i keep her well fed.

Yes it really depends on how well they are fed, but it's a chance.

walleye

i got a marble cat shark. i have it for about a year. its about 18 inches long it eat silver side and white shrimp. she gets along with everything in the tank. i have a lion fish a ghost eel and a snow flake eel. they all eat the same.