Bamboo?

xabxam

I just got some bamboo to put in a vase of water, but the bamboo is way too tall! Can I trim the bamboo, or wil it die if I trim it down to size? Should I cut from the bottom or the top?

my way

I don't know about cutting from bamboo, but with most plants you cut and save the top hoping to grow new roots, that is how you clone plants. I don't think it would survive if you cut it and saved the bottom if it had no leaves.

hot883

Cut it from the top side and cut slightly below the notches. There should be new roots spring out from the new bottom notch. Thats the way I have done it in the past with SOME success. It worked ok for me, do it at your own risk. Ha!

jr2857

Originally Posted by puffer24/7
lol i thought u were gonna be talkin about a shark for crying out loud,shuks
same here thank lord he's not :hilarious

danedodger

Bamboo is pretty tuff stuff! If you want a fairly fast growing wall in your yard as a screen plant bamboo! It'll take over the whole yard so bad if you're not careful that some people really consider it a nuisance!!
You see the little rings around it?
1. Find one of those rings that are at about the right height
2. Make sure that the segment below that ring you just found has at least one or two leaves
3. Cut just above that ring
4. Toss out or replant the top part

xabxam

I'm talking about a type of bamboo that lives in water. I bought it at a pet store, to put in freshwater fishtanks. Can I cut this type of bamboo the same way DaneDodger told me?

oaktree

Originally Posted by DaneDodger
Bamboo is pretty tuff stuff! If you want a fairly fast growing wall in your yard as a screen plant bamboo! It'll take over the whole yard so bad if you're not careful that some people really consider it a nuisance!!
You see the little rings around it?
1. Find one of those rings that are at about the right height
2. Make sure that the segment below that ring you just found has at least one or two leaves
3. Cut just above that ring
4. Toss out or replant the top part
Yes but if you want to put in in a tank I would go right below one of those rings and cut it so the top will show who wants no leaves on top I have done this many times the bottom of the bamboo will regrow roots that will attached or grow in your gravel or whatever it so easy the only way to mess it up is if you keep it in stagnant water and let it rot a aquarium should be fine