Bananarama

squidd

OK now NO Laughing....
Now a lot of you know I like to keep my Aggressive/Predatory tank stocked with fish with "Cool" sounding names...
Like Lion or Panther or Crocodile, or Trigger or Tusk....(try to stay away from the Angels, Fairies, and Butterflys)...
Except for my "Clown" but he's kind of a "Maroon" anyway....

So the other day the LFS (Dr's. Foster and Smith) call me up and tell me they have a "Trouble maker" in their tank...getting a little large and too aggressive to keep and want to know if I'd be interested in him...
They know I have a large Aggressive tank and can deal with this sort of thing...anyway they're going to give it away free or have to destroy it...and "Free Fish" perks my interest as much as "Free Beer"... :jumping:
So I'm like "Cool..What is it ...Angler...Scorpion...Killer Whale..?" :joy:
They're like No....it's a "Banana" Wrasse....
Bannana...!!! Get outa town....Banana..???
I Mean you put a Banana in with a "Monkey fish"...not a Cool Dude Lion or Panther...
But, curiosity got the best of me and I went down to check him out....( It was the whole "Free fish" thing...) and of course brought him home...
Normally I do the QT thing, but I've known and seen this fish to be healthy and Ick free for the last 6 months...(they've been trying to pawn this "Banana" off on me for awhile...
) and the trip home is only a 1/2 hr so I just acclimated him to the temp and salinity and tossed him in...
So I sit back to observe saying to myself..."OK "Banana Boy"...Let's see what you got..." ***)
First up is the Humu Humu Trigger...he don't like nobody...get's within an inch of banana boy and Wham ....the Wrasse b!tch slaps him with his tail sending him scurrying away...
Does a 1/2 spin and faces off with the Hippo Tang ...Wham...Head Butt...Tang veers off...
Damsel sneaks in from below...Nip Nip Nip...Banana Boy flips in his own length and Nip Nip Nip sends the damsel for the cover of the rocks...
Banana Boy ain't going nowhere...he just swims a small area where I dropped him....He ain't running for cover...
The Panther "glides by" Eyeing him up...too big to eat, he keeps his distance and doesn't make a move...Banana Boy is "watching" him too....
Big "Cowardly Lion" is up in a corner going... "Don't want to mess up my "plumage" better leave this one alone.."
Wrasse starts checking out the new "Hood"... getts into "Clown Territory"...
Clown "charges" out...Banana Boy "charges" back...Clown retreats...Wrasse turns to circle the tank...Clown charges again..Banana Boy does another of those "flip in your own space" moves and chases the Clown back to his corner and "holds" him there...Wrasse turns away and the Clown don't move....
So now Banana Boy is swimming the tank, hasn't "run" once from nobody and seems to be confident in his new surroundings...
Not "aggressive" to anybody... But he ain't taking nothing from nobody...
But what do you expect from a "Banana"...???
Kind of reminds me of that Johnny Cash song....
"A Boy Named Sue".....

nmocean

O.K. I know you said no laughing, but. . .

A picture is worth a thousand words. . .I love the expression on your blue tangs face, and that "Banana Boy" is swimming around like king of the tank. I guess we will all have a new found respect for the word "Banana".
Thanks for the story!! ***)
-Jen

farmboy

Does that make him the "top banana"?
. . .maroon. . .

Great story-I liked the play by play.

squidd

I'll shoot a few more...see if I can get some decent ones...
I got 20 of his tail and 15 of his nose if you want to see them...