Banded catshark problem! help

unleashed

Originally Posted by greenwolf52
i had green wolf eel that died last week after not eating for 2-3 weeks. i had not been adding iodine to the system. is it possible he could've gotten the goiter thing.
chances are highly unlikely for the green wolf eel as they are technically not an eel they are of the blenny family.however you may be somewhat on the right track of thinking as dietary needs go.unfortunately we only have references as far as dietary needs go by hobbiest and as hobbiest this information is based upon others experiences in feeding care ect.fish live countess number of yrs in the wild no one knows for sure the accual age of the fish but as hobbiest we may be able to keep a fish es health sustained for a number of yrs but whos to say how many yrs has its life been shortened by being kept in captivity .no one knows this number to be sure.all fish do need trace eliments iodine is a very important eliment to fish and inverts alike but due to the varients of live stock type of salt mix used and how often new water is added will determine it greatly different by each indevidual talk.some salts are made with minimal amounts of trace eliments others have higher forms of each.but how much is utilized by each indevidual life form will vary greatly.

blownz281

unleased- my shark ate acouple small pieces of shrimp i bought. this thursday will start the begining of his third week with iodine being added to the tank.
what do i do bout water changes? do i need to add more iodine?

1journeyman

Originally Posted by blownz281
unleased- my shark ate acouple small pieces of shrimp i bought. this thursday will start the begining of his third week with iodine being added to the tank.
what do i do bout water changes? do i need to add more iodine?
If you are adding iodine you need to be testing for it. Too much will kill (as with most additives).