Bangaii Cardinal: only fish that survives!

mikeyfishy

Originally Posted by saltn00b
how did you correct the problem, what was it exactly?
I'm only hoping it is corrected at this point. My lone damsel is still doing great after 3 days so things are looking up, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for another week or two before I declare victory. IF it is fixed, the UV sterilizer fixed it. Up until I got the UV sterilizer, I could remove some of the ornamental stuff from the tank, clean off the algae, and it'd be covered in algae again within 3 days. It's been 3 days since I installed the UV sterilizer and none of the algae has returned. In fact, some small amounts on the glass that I didn't clean off are starting to disappear. At the same time, my current damsel is surviving where all the others died off in the same period.
My guess: the algae was drawing down the O2 levels in the tank stressing the fish or there was some type of invisible (to the eye) parasite that was killing them. Either of those may be killed by the UV sterilizer.
Mike

saltn00b

i dont remember there being an algae problem in your other thread, how did you fix the electric problem?

mikeyfishy

Originally Posted by saltn00b
i dont remember there being an algae problem in your other thread, how did you fix the electric problem?
That thread got so long that I don't even want to try looking for it, but I think I mentioned algae at some point. I never considered it a "problem" until I ruled out everything else. Still don't know if that was the problem. It could have been some sort of parasite or bacteria that the UV sterilizer killed. The electric problem was resolved by flipping the power cord on my heater 180 degrees and using a grounding rod in the water. No stray voltage now.
Mike