Bangaii Cardinals Face Extinction

mike22cha

Originally Posted by Calvertbill
Where do I learn about breeding them?
Just do a forum search on swf.com Breeding Bangaii Cardinals. There are also plenty of information if you google that and I believe there are books out too.

m0nk

Originally Posted by jpc763
This site has Wild Caught on sale for $1.99 each so that cannot be true.
It's actually $19.99:
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ot_parent_id=4
And the sad thing, actually, is that the aquacultured ones are $2 more...
On another note, if I knew of anyone strictly breeding them I'd certainly want to buy a couple, but I won't even buy them from a place that sells them wild caught...

jhawk

It's time like that when need to ask SWF.COM to stop selling wild Banggai cardinal maybe if enough of us ask they may hear us.

wattsupdoc

i got my 2 bandaiis from this site. Aquacultered. I havent been sure if they were a pair or what. But....today I saw some eggs.
And then the male slurped them up.
Soooo I have a mated pair now.
Thanks to SWF.Com, and probably inadvertently to
Frank Marino.
Who is probably the original breeder of Bangaiis in the US. Now I get to try to make a difference. Really I think the thing is to get enough "hobby" breeders doing it so as to flood the market with aquacultered Bangers and eliminate the need for wild caught. Supply+demand.

jhawk

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
i got my 2 bandaiis from this site. Aquacultered. I havent been sure if they were a pair or what. But....today I saw some eggs.
And then the male slurped them up.
Soooo I have a mated pair now.
Thanks to SWF.Com, and probably inadvertently to
Frank Marino.
Who is probably the original breeder of Bangaiis in the US. Now I get to try to make a difference. Really I think the thing is to get enough "hobby" breeders doing it so as to flood the market with aquacultered Bangers and eliminate the need for wild caught. Supply+demand.

I have been reading about breeding them.Think I will give it a try as soon as I find a pair.

fmarini

Hey Wattsupdoc-
Thanks for the backhanded compliment.
If alot more hobbyists would get involved and be successful w/ this fish then maybe, just maybe the wc demand would go down. However, today this is not the case.
Yes, the banggais are the equivalent of a saltwater guppie, but each hobbyist is spending his/her own money to raise the fry, and after you figure out how much it costs to raise each fry (time, effort, supplies,etc) you'll get an idea of what it costs to produce this fish. Now look at what wild caught imports cost. When the hobbyist or aquaculture facilities can bring the price down to similar levels, then we're talking.
In the mean time, hobbyists like you can do your part by educating others w/ your stories and pictures, as well as sell/trade your CB banggais w/ your hobby mates

frank
(BTW, its marini, not marino- Marino is the famous quaterback
)

wattsupdoc

ooooops sorry Frank,
I guess I cant read. But I have read an article you wrote for another SW website. I found it to be very informative. A great help to people like myself. We are very fortunate to have you participate on this board. Thank you for being here.
I'm not sure what you meant by "backhanded compliment", but I surely meant nothing but respect.
This is what I'm going to do with my bangers, if I get through the whole brooding thing. I will keep as many as I can until they pair up. Hoping for about 5 pairs, maybe more. Then I will GIVE them to select people on this board. They'll pay for shipping, but nothing else. I'll choose those that I feel will be dedicated to breeding these. I will look for people from different areas of the US. Then in return for recieving these, they must do the same with at least 2 pairs from the first batch of bangers. And so on, and so on..... Maybe we can set up a website like "Bangaii Breeders Registry" or something like that, Get Mr. Marini on board there, for several reasons.
In order to organize this effort, as well as get some attention/education from/to others.
Then Al Gore can brag about how he saved the Bangaii Cardinal's.

alex4286

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
Then Al Gore can brag about how he saved the Bangaii Cardinal's.

lmao*
but thats a really reallly good idea

breineach1

Does anyone know if there are any programs that restock native environments with CB animals? Would that even be a possibility? There are a few people on this board that breed different species- I'm sure if there were programs like that people would be happy to "donate" some of their hatchlings. The same could also be done for corals in damaged reef areas.

fmarini

while anything is possible, its is very improbable that they will restock the banggais in the wild. Besides the obvious taking captive bred livestock w/no immunity to native agents or worse introducing banggais w/ adeventious agent from the lab and reintroducing it can start or result in havoc.
Next, the banggai genetic pool would be seriously mixed. Currently there are 8 known Clades w/ lots of minor genetic families, and its unclear what would or should happen if they homogenize.
Finally, until indo comes to terms w/ how to truely protect this fish, and prevents its overcollection or collection at all. It would be a mistake to reintroduce it, just for the next collector to take