Banned Cat Shark from Egg to Aggressive Shark

mie

One of our lfs stores has one of those eggs. How big do they get? and how long does it take to hatch them?

mike22cha

Originally Posted by mie
http:///forum/post/2473366
One of our lfs stores has one of those eggs. How big do they get? and how long does it take to hatch them?
Their max length is 4'.
How big of tank is that shark in now and what plans do you have for it once it grows? You did a good job getting it to eat it looks like.

mike22cha

Ok I made a mistake. Their max is 37-39" but since they get to 3' a 4' wide aquarium is best, so that's where I got confused. Still a very large shark.

ejsmr96

Well sad story but the shark ended up dying. I had him for almost a year. I was going to buy a bigger tank for him when he needed it. I think I am going to buy another egg eventually. It was really easy to hatch. I took a razor blade when I bought the egg and scrapped off all the seaweed on the outside of the egg so I could see clearly into the egg. It was pretty cool because you could see the shark with his ball of food attached to him. Once the ball got down to being really small pretty much completely gone, and I had the shark egg for a month and a half, I had a friend cut a hole in the egg. He cut the sides where they meet. The shark eventually swam out. He lived for a year and died. His diet consisted of frozen squid chunks, and live rosies. I would use a feeding stick because when he snapped his teeth you could hear it outside the tank.

mike22cha

Originally Posted by ejsmr96
http:///forum/post/2473959
Well sad story but the shark ended up dying. I had him for almost a year. I was going to buy a bigger tank for him when he needed it. I think I am going to buy another egg eventually. It was really easy to hatch. I took a razor blade when I bought the egg and scrapped off all the seaweed on the outside of the egg so I could see clearly into the egg. It was pretty cool because you could see the shark with his ball of food attached to him. Once the ball got down to being really small pretty much completely gone, and I had the shark egg for a month and a half, I had a friend cut a hole in the egg. He cut the sides where they meet. The shark eventually swam out. He lived for a year and died. His diet consisted of frozen squid chunks, and live rosies. I would use a feeding stick because when he snapped his teeth you could hear it outside the tank.
Sorry to hear about your shark. When you get your next shark, try to not fed it freshwater fish(I'm guessing that's what rosies are but realy not sure) since some reports have shown that fw fish are not good to fed any aggressive sw fish. But the frozen squid and stuff was good.
Cool pics though and thanks for sharing.

hefner413

just wondering, did you have any other tankmates? how big was your tank? I may think of trying one - I have a 180 that I'm setting up...

clown4life

That's really cool. I just bought a shark egg today. One side was already scraped off. Should I do the other side too?. I held him or her up to the light and could see it wiggiling around inside. It is one about and inch maybe smaller. I know I have a long journey until he hatches. I have him close to the top near the out flow of my canister. Please if there is anything else that I need to know don't hesittate to let me know. Thank you, Andrew