Bare Bottom Tank

king4345

Ok I dread digging up this age old discussion.
I have read 30 + posts on the pros and the cons of BB vs. DSB. I have had DSB in the past and I also has a remote DSB in the same system... I only enjoyed the look never really had much luck with it in the long run though, meaning blowing all around, scratching glass, etc... So now I have a 56 gallon tank and I want to go BB planning mega flow and over the top skimming I want to make sure Iam making the right choice. I plan to go SPS in the distant future so this also is weighing on my choice. Since there is no place like this one for professional and personal opinions I have brought to your attention. Anyone with pictures, tricks, secret, and information I may need to consider please speak up.

drtito

I, myself would not go with a bare bottem tank. There is a chance that a rock falls or you let go,slip a rock as its going in and bam there goes your tank.
I would recomend some kind of cover over the glass, I think someone used cutting borads as a false floor, coralline will cover it in time. Or put a thin layer of sand.
Good luck what ever you choose.

king4345

I have sealed the tank bottom with high impact acrylic over the glass to prevent any water from getting under it and prevent any accidental breakage.

snakeblitz33

yay! I love barebottom tanks.
One tip about barebottom tanks: High internal flow volume. Don't just settle for koralia powerheads either, but buy the good vortech powerheads, you will not regret that you did.
The most ideal way of keeping a barebottom tank is to keep detritus from forming on the bottom, and having a large mechanical filtration system. Also, it is beneficial to run a refugium.
If anything, I suggest to keep sand somewhere in the system, lol. Keep it in the refugium if possible. But, that's just my experience. FWIW
Also something you might be interested in :
Vitamin C dosing thread:
http://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/350049/vitamin-c-dosing

king4345

I was thinking about the Koralia but, if think it would be a bad move I will look into the vortechs. I did stumble onto the vit.C thing the other night and found it very compelling. The things that we don't even know. The realm of the oceans secrets are unimaginable. We have just begun to scratch the surface. To replicate one of the most perfect systems in the comfort of your own home is truely an amazing feat in itself. The importance of educating ourselves is unmentionable. This is why I have turn to all my friends here in the SWF boards for their advice, wisdom, and opinions. Please keep it coming in.
Some BB pics would be nice also.

coralline

We have always done bare bottom & love it (10g / 30g / 120g). We'd never do it any other way! Mega flow & mega skimming is my advise.