Bare your bottom....

spanko

My 29 gallon bio cube.

No green algae on the bottom, but there is coralline. I have the output of my sump pump running in two directions across the bottom and it causes any detritus to accumulate in one corner of the tank where I siphon every week at water change.

t316

So what's the reason for having a bare bottom tank? Savings? More visibility because no sand to stir up? What?

candycane

Don't have to worry about tending to a sand bed. In most bare bottom tanks, you can aim a powerhead or two directly at the bottom and keep detritus and other organic matter completely out of the tank.
One of the things that I like I about them is I have been testing my sand lately and the amount of carbonate build up (dissolved) is just OUTSTANDING!

t316

Originally Posted by candycane
http:///forum/post/2555336
Don't have to worry about tending to a sand bed. In most bare bottom tanks, you can aim a powerhead or two directly at the bottom and keep detritus and other organic matter completely out of the tank.
One of the things that I like I about them is I have been testing my sand lately and the amount of carbonate build up (dissolved) is just OUTSTANDING!
Thanks for the response. Not enough to convince me to switch though. These are good looking tanks posted here, but the bare bottoms just jump out at you like "something major is missing". I think I would rather deal with the 'natural nature process' than to have this look. Hope I don't offend any of the posters.

spanko

No offense taken here. It is a matter of what you like and what you are trying to achieve. For me the cleanliness of the tank and the water chemistry are most important as I am trying to keep coral that thrive in a nutrient poor environment.

candycane

Wait, were we trying to convince somebody? When did that happen? I don't even have a bare bottom tank. The ONE reason to keep one that is major is if you plan on having a bunch of clams. Then you don't have the clams in competition with that bacteria in the sand bed for nitrates, ammonia, etc.

digitydash

I am not say all do but most BB tanks are SPS tanks cause they need lots of flow and sand tends to pile up with alot of current in the tank.