Barebottom skimmerless..Anyone?

ogredawg

Ok after doing much research on it, I know almost everyone are against this idea. So I just want to hear it from people who runs bare bottom skimmerless. Especially to reefers whose been doing it for a while.
Here's my 2 week old tank...Well not really 2 weeks, I downgraded so everything came from my old tank.
I'm using carbon, and purigen for filter media a refugium with a little bit of sand, live rock rubbles, and chaeto. Also planning to do 25% weekly water change.

N

nereef

what is the reason you would not want to run a skimmer? it could easily go in the fuge.

milkman

Total volume of water? Tank? Refugium? How many fish?
I've seen numerous tanks able to run with out a skimmer but after you run a skimmer and see the crap it pulls out of the water why would you not want to use a skimmer?

maxalmon

Man thats gota be one expensive tank and heckofa skimmer if it can pull quaters out of the water.....

grumpygils

Originally Posted by maxalmon
Man thats gota be one expensive tank and heckofa skimmer if it can pull quaters out of the water.....

HA!

teen

usually the purpose of runnig a barebottom tank is to keep low nutrients. correct?
by not running a skimmer, your pretty much defeating the purpose. right?

viper_930

Originally Posted by teen
usually the purpose of runnig a barebottom tank is to keep low nutrients. correct?
by not running a skimmer, your pretty much defeating the purpose. right?
Exactly
That is unless you just hate seeing sand in the tank.

N

nemo_66

bare bottom is usually not my thing, but i have run a 28gallon bowfront for 1 year skimmerless. it has sand tho, and no fish, just corals.