barnacle blenny

J

jstdv8

Anybody have one of these little guys or have any experience with them.
one of the LFS's has a few and they are pretty awesome looking and lightning fast.
just wondering why i hadn't seen much on them in the past, if they don't do well in our tanks or something.
Thinking about getting one or 2 for my mom's nano

J

jstdv8

I figured at least one of you might have had one of these little guys...

J

jstdv8

what has cranberry been up to? havn't seen him posting in a while.
I'm always looking fro his website about the hitchikers and can never find it.

S

smartorl

Sheesh, next thing you are going to tell me that Saxman is a guy!

J

jstdv8

weird, I thought a long time ago I was calling Cranberry a girl and it was a guy.
maybe that was meo and it was the other way around...

cranberry

Kindda weird walking into a conversation in progress about ya :)
Ya, we're still recovering from the move. I still don't have the PC set up and I'm either balancing a laptop on my knee or using my iPhone. SWF doesn't have Tapatalk, and once your on a forum that uses it, you can't go back to a regular page.
We have a few barnacle blennies. GREAT fish. I have no idea on their longevity, but I thought ours would be dead long ago. We always say "Geez, I wonder how long they live!". Ours are a few years old now. A couple live in some cocoworm tubes, another in a large turbo shell and some more in the holes in the rock. You have to be ready to play ping pong when you feed them. Sometimes they jump out of the water and you just deflect them with your hand. Never had one go carpet surfing yet!

cranberry

Great.... I can't edit again. Forgive my typos. Another reason why you haven't seen much of me! Grrrrrr!

J

jstdv8

hahaha, I can just see you knocking them back as they jump out of the water, funny stuff.
I'm going to tell my mom she can get 1 or 2 for her nano tank, neat little fish and they can't jump out of that thing.

cranberry

Get 2. The more there are, the more fun they are to watch. It's one of those tanks you feed for your house guests. Even if they aren't "into it", they'll get a laugh.
Ours is just a 12g Nano-cube.

J

jstdv8

my mom has an 8 gallon biocube and it has just 2 occ clowns in there. she had a rock with several barnacles, so they have a home :) I just don't want to overstock, allthough these fish stay pretty small, i'll have her get two :)
do they prefer any particular food?
I feed my fish my own food I make from scallops, shrimp, squid, mussels, crab nori and garlic.
would that work or do they need soemthing particular?

cranberry

Awwwww....
You'd probably have the shave those food items to get them small enough. We just feed mysis and brine.

J

jstdv8

I put them in a slap chopper and mince them really good (hit it like 50 times) so should be small enough :)

J

jstdv8

hahaha, not exactly.
actually i only smell it if i'm dumb enough to put my face up to the ziplock i keep the food in.