Base of Xenia turning white and rotting away

paulcoates

Any idea what this is? My phosphates are at .4 and I just started running Rowa Phos. I have about 20 corals in my tank. The Xenia and my Yellow Fiji Leather appear to be the main ones affected.
The Yellow Fiji looks like it is coming apart in the center and has a brown tint to it
Now that I think of it, my bubble has not been fuill extending lately either

paulcoates

Yesterday's readings
Salinity 1.025
ph 8.0
ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 100
Alk 7.0
Calcium 440
Phosphates .4

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by paulcoates
Yesterday's readings
Salinity 1.025
ph 8.0
ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 100
Alk 7.0
Calcium 440
Phosphates .4
Dont you realize that your nitrates are way too high? .4 phosphates are not a proble right now..

paulcoates

Will they do that kind of damage to the corals?
My store did the readings and recommended ROWA PHOS. I know it removes phospates but don't know about nitrates

miaheatlvr

Will they do that kind of damage to the corals?
My store did the readings and recommended ROWA PHOS. I know it removes phospates but don't know about nitrates
Paul you have a major problem,,, people are always talking you shouldnt have more that like .10 nitrates,,, how are you getting such high nitrate readings?? DO you have live sand? live rock?? what do you think is the source of your high nitrates do you think,,, THAT IS DEFINATELY your problem,,, ITS not gonna damge your corals but kill them,, I recomend imediate water changes,,to get youur trates DOWN,, but that will become irrelevant unless you find the source of your NITRATES.. do you have a refugium..

miaheatlvr

People are always talking, you dont FIX problems with CHEMICALS ea, phosguard, ALGAE gone,, etc etc... are you overfeeding? overstocked? doing regular water changes? USING PURE RO/DI water that measures ZERO nitrates? do you have CHEMICAL filtration as well??? CHEMI-PURE? WHERE DO YOU THINK YOUR TRATES are coming from??? you need to find out ASAP!!

paulcoates

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
Paul you have a major problem,,, people are always talking you shouldnt have more that like .10 nitrates,,, how are you getting such high nitrate readings?? DO you have live sand? live rock?? what do you think is the source of your high nitrates do you think,,, THAT IS DEFINATELY your problem,,, ITS not gonna damge your corals but kill them,, I recomend imediate water changes,,to get youur trates DOWN,, but that will become irrelevant unless you find the source of your NITRATES.. do you have a refugium..
55 gallon
110 lbs live rock
2-3 inch sand bed
Recently added a Diamond Goby who sifts a lot

miaheatlvr

and I recently (6 weeks ago) purchased a Deltec skimmer
Paul, do you over feed? do you make your own water? what kind of filtration do you have? besides the skimmer? I suggest to start to make agressive water changes ASAP you need to get those trates down immensly,, maybe to even syphon the tops of the LIVE SAND to get some of that detrius out as well.

S

scoobs

I would try a different Nitrate test.. that sounds way way to high to have things still living well.

puffer32

Deltec is a great skimmer, got one on my 150. I would recommend a 50% or more water change to get those trates down, do you have a fuge? Putting chaeto in it may help if you don't have some already. Don't feed tank for afew days, then only lightly after that. We have a tendency to overfeed our tank and when the trates start getting higher we do a very large WC, and that really is the only thing that works for us.