Base Rock From Creek?

ddress007

Does anybody know if rock from a creek can be used as base rock? Granted it is not the most porous rock but some pieces resemble lace rock. My real question is, since the creek is in Kentucky, can limestone leach from the rock and be harmful to a reef tank?
Thanks

hagfish

No way would I try this. There's no telling what's in those rocks. People could be pouring toxic waste into that creek for all you know. If there is something bad in the rocks and you put them in a tank they are going to cost you more than their weight in real live rock very quickly by killing other things and possibly leaching chemicals into good live rock/sand or even the sealant in the aquarium itself. It's just not worth the risk.
If you want base rock buy something that is proven to be acceptable in a reef aquarium. You should be able to find some for $1/lb or maybe $1.50/lb.

ophiura

Well, what I would be wary of is anything that just "looks like" something. If you were SURE it was limestone, and were relatively sure it was a clean area...I wouldn't have too many issues.
The "holey" rock commonly used is often found througout Texas in fields and such. So it is a similar situation. Limestone is not an issue...it is basically an old fossilized coral reef anyway. But if you aren't SURE of what it is, then I wouldn't use it.