Base Rock Question

mattyjatz

After doing a brief search on base rock opinions, I went to a LFS in my area (one that I probably won't shop at much) and they had a couple different types of base rock.
I'm starting my first SW tank and I'd really like to save the extra money if I can get away with starting my aquascape with base rock.
The two different rocks they sell are $1.99 lb. and $2.99lb. The more expensive out of the two has a fake algae look that I believe is some sort of paint. The cheaper rock, white in color, IMO would probably work the best...opinions? I've attached a picture of the two. I apologize for the quality. They were taken with my camera phone.
Your opinions and advise are much appreciated as it will really help the start of this exciting hobby.

deejeff442

i wouldnt get anything with fake anything for a salt tank.
get the plain rock and buy at least one nice piece of lr to seed the base rock.
if you have good flow and light it will spread pretty fast.

gli0sca

i agree with deejeff. getting the fake painted stuff is not worth it because the white rocks will still fill in if you have live rock on top of it.

deejeff442

sorry to steal the post but.
i am an ex buffalonian didnt think anyone lived there anymore

i have to go up and visit family in a few weeks cant wait to get to duffs

flower

Originally Posted by MattyJatz
http:///forum/post/3069809
After doing a brief search on base rock opinions, I went to a LFS in my area (one that I probably won't shop at much) and they had a couple different types of base rock.
I'm starting my first SW tank and I'd really like to save the extra money if I can get away with starting my aquascape with base rock.
The two different rocks they sell are $1.99 lb. and $2.99lb. The more expensive out of the two has a fake algae look that I believe is some sort of paint. The cheaper rock, white in color, IMO would probably work the best...opinions? I've attached a picture of the two. I apologize for the quality. They were taken with my camera phone.
Your opinions and advise are much appreciated as it will really help the start of this exciting hobby.

Okay here is my advice for what it is worth...
All rock will become live rock, even fake stuff. What you want to go for is a look. Lots of nooks and caves for your critters to hide in and swim around. Make sure you have things really stable to prevent rock slides that can kill critters or break your tank.
Coraline is going to grow on everything, as long as the paint is saltwater fish safe (marine paint) color is a plus. Because it takes a long time to grow on the rocks to start looking really good.
So I say go ahead and buy the base rock and choose a few really nice pieces of live rock. Don't just pile the rocks up...once you have the tank established, changing things up is a pain and could be dangerous for your critters. Double plus that comment reguarding corals.
Happy Reefing
I am attaching a pic of my tank. I wanted you to see the caves. Not all coral likes the light, so a nice overhang or cave is a real plus. Planning ahead will allow you to have a choice on what corals and even sponges you can have in your tank for years to come.

deejeff442

hell yea cant wait for t.o. cowboys are a bunch of drama queens.
i would private message you but you are new here and dont have the icon yet.
seeing buffalo is so small i probably know someone who knows you.

what part of town you in.i am from w.senaca.
although i am a bit older.
on subject i bought some base rock and 6 months looked just like my 15 yr old rock.

gli0sca

a bit older? you have more experience in the hobby than i do on earth. haha i originally grew up in west seneca, the old man worked at the psych center for yearsss. how long do i have to wait in order to pm someone?

taznut

i see you live in florida... i order so rock off a site awhile back that i really like, best stuff i have seen... it was 2-3$ a pound and came with lots of stuff... can't pm since you dont have enough posts though... post email if interested..

deejeff442

if you want to talk buffalo my email is deejeff@sbcglobal.net
i have a couple funny stories about the psyco home there on east and west.
we have worked around there a few times when a few got out.
i go to c-list all the time you can find lr there cheap.
i bought 65 lbs from a guy whos tank split for $60
not base rock nice rock with all kinds of stuff on it.

mattyjatz

Originally Posted by taznut
http:///forum/post/3070220
i see you live in florida... i order so rock off a site awhile back that i really like, best stuff i have seen... it was 2-3$ a pound and came with lots of stuff... can't pm since you dont have enough posts though... post email if interested..
MattyJ03@hotmail.com
That would be great if you could send me some info! Thanks everyone for the help and tips about the base rock. Looks like I will be investing in some.

jusmebabe

I bought some rock (not that kind) off a guy from CL and he gave me about 45 lbs for 30 dollars.
A week later I put a ad up on CL looking for live rock and got 65 lbs of live rock, snails, Emrald crab, a shrimp, and 2 fish for free
. Heck he offered the sand also but I didn't need any so I passed.
Before he changed his mind or someone else respong I drove from Salinas, to Monterey in about 15 minutes with my helper (my daughter).
You can find some great deals on there.
If I lived closer to the Yay Area or San Jose I would probably be in the poor house lol..

deejeff442

the rock on the right is a sweet piece.
i bought a ton off c-list my 225 tank for $300
55 tank,stand,lights,pumps,filters for $100
sometimes people just need to get rid of stuff.
i dont know how or who runs it but its killing the bay.
the bay has gotten too greedy .
although i do buy alot of stuff on thier e-bay stores

king_neptune

have you considered a foam wall?
also as to base rock...i agree with everyone here....
buying the cheaper base rock ad using underneath the real rock is a good alternative. it will cover with all the nice things on the surface within 6-12 months. the deep core of the rock will take 2-3 years...but that white stuff looks really porous, so very likely...much sooner.
so dont buy the "Pre-painted" fake stuff...its just tacky, your rock will be covered in life soon enough.