Base Rock

johnic

Whats a good base rock to use instead of using all LR..I'm seting up a FOWLR. I would like the base rock to eventually turn to LR. There's a Hawiian Base rock I found on web site..wondering if its good ?
Also with the LR what addition additives or checking do I need to make.

T

thomas712

The base rock that you found on the internet is absolutly excellent. I have ordered 50 pounds of it before and its great. It is calcium carbonate based and simply put it was live rock at one time. Go for it.
You will need to check for alkalinity and calcium if you want your rock to grow coralline algae on it.
Thomas

johnic

Do you remember the Web site for that rock again...? I assume I will have to keep reef fish once I have the LR setup ?

T

thomas712

Glad you found it, however since this place sells liverock the link is considered out of bounds and direct competition to the board so it can not be allowed. Sorry for the inconvinence, and it is somthing that we used to post quite regularly, however things have changed.
Hope you understand.
Thomas

johnic

I heard that if I plan on doing a FOWLR ..do not add live rock because the calcium, Argonates and salt levels will be too high for the fish, thats if I'm not keeping reef fish...any truth to this?

ekclark

I took Thomas's advice about this about six months ago. The baserock I got was great and now is some of my most prized pieces of lr. If you go with this, make sure that you give it a good rinsing because the dust can take a long time to settle.

T

thomas712

Originally posted by Johnic
I heard that if I plan on doing a FOWLR ..do not add live rock because the calcium, Argonates and salt levels will be too high for the fish, thats if I'm not keeping reef fish...any truth to this?

LFS Nonsence. Most fish that we keep with live rock will handle salinity levels of 1.021 to 1.025. In fact if you are going to keep snails they tend to do better at 1.025.
With a fowlr, you don't have to absolutly take care of the calcium and alkalinity but it should be watched and perhaps maintaned. A low alkalinity can cause some problems for a fish.
Many LFS keep the salinity lower than the above. Not quite hyposalinity but the lower salinity does deture parisites.
If your not going to have corals right away then you will have a very low bio load that eats up the caclium and buffers. Only the live rock will be utilizing the most of it.
Besides you would still be doing routien water changes (I hope) and this would replace the trace elements.
Thomas

johnic

Thanks...I was hoping for that kind of answer..I really would like to go with the LR..it adds so much to the tank..
Is there any risk of parisits ..or any Downside to the FOWLR ?