base rock

harley1965

i want to set up another ank and i was wondering were i could get some base rock and how long does tank need to be up and running before base rock brcomes live rock i do realise that i need to add some live rock thanks

teresaq

google basic tonga dry rock or just dry rock. I have seen a few places
you arent allowed to give links, you have to just google

It doesn't take that long for the dead rock to become live with bacteria but it does take some time before it becomes really alive with life. The bacteria is the most important thing though as you know.

m0nk

Originally Posted by SaltWaterNewb
http:///forum/post/2460978
It doesn't take that long for the dead rock to become live with bacteria but it does take some time before it becomes really alive with life. The bacteria is the most important thing though as you know.

With each tank I've started I used about 1/3 live rock and 2/3 base rock. I would technically consider the base rock "live" after I've seen the color change from white to almost brown and see some coraline growing on it. This usually takes about 6 months depending on the size of tank and amount of live rock you seed it with. The bacteria is the most important thing, which is why going by color probably isn't the best way to tell, but it's a good indicator. Anyways, you really need to be sure you use some real "live" rock to seed the base rock.
If you want to find it you can also google "reef rock" or "caribsea reef rock".