base rock???

bubbagump

well my lfs sells base rock and is it like liv rock where it is alive? i know this is a stupid question but i just am not for sure.and if it is will it do the same biological filtration as live rock?

nacl-h2o

If it looks like dead LR, once its in your aquarium for a while and a bacterial population begines to grow on and in it, it will do the same filtering job as LR. It will have become LR while in your tank.

nacl-h2o

If it looks like dead LR, once its in your aquarium for a while and a bacterial population begines to grow on and in it, it will do the same filtering job as LR. It will have become LR while in your tank.

bubbagump

so it will be ok to just have all base rock if i wanted too? and it doesnt look dead becasue there is green algea growing on it and some little feather dusters i think

ocellaris_keeper

STOP - The whole idea of LR is to get the cool life forms that come with it. If you just want base rock for your aquarium go to Miami - wlak the beach and pick up pieces of coral; drill some whole in it, break it to pieces that will help build your environment, wash the hell out of it, boil it and put it in the tank. Your existing LR will seed it over a few months and it will have been rock - YOU made.
Another approach is to get quickcrete and play sand and a box. Place the play sand in the box and make 6-12" craters. Add teh quickcrete and when it's dry - drill some whole in it and boil it and use this for BASE - A Whole Lot Cheaper - Plus you can make the pieces anyway you want. You can even throw some coral pieces onto it for effect.

jakob4001

it would probably be best to seed the base rock w/ at least 1/3 of the premium live rock; doing so would good circulation in the tank and calcium levels of 400-450 w/ good lighting should help assist in getting grreat coraline coverage