Basket Starfish

sepulatian

Originally Posted by earnit33
http:///forum/post/2612087
Trying to get info. on Basket starfish? Anyone have any ideas where to look!
Google basket starfish. There is quite a bit of information available. You will find that they do not do too well in most home aquariums because of their specialized needs.

perfectdark

My LFS has on in one of their tanks, they wont sell it or any others because they dont know enough about them, but they are WILD !!

ophiura

I STRONGLY discourage keeping them.
These are an animal that if you succeed at keeping them will outgrow any tank. They can be up to a meter across.
Search this board for Sterling (as the user) and basketstar.
Unlike feather stars these can be kept but you must feed them after lights out and will not be see during the day. You must spot feed them and any animal that is at least a foot across as a juvenile needs A LOT of food.
again, I STRONGLY DISCOURAGE KEEPING THESE ANIMALS.
They have no place whatsoever in this hobby.

jaymz

How about the sunflower star. those things are fast. and only get about as big as a semi truck tire. They come if some nice colors.....
ok sorry im just being a wrasse

but seriously tho they are an awesome creature!

A

alexmir

Hope it makes it, dont think it will though, i have read alot about those starfish, and they seem impossible to keep.

ophiura

You must stay up after dark to feed it or it will starve, that's a basic fact.
Please search this board for Sterling's posts on what was fed, etc.

earnit33

Originally Posted by ophiura
http:///forum/post/2615936
You must stay up after dark to feed it or it will starve, that's a basic fact.
Please search this board for Sterling's posts on what was fed, etc.
I did find that out,I googled it.These pics are just after feeding!

earnit33

Almost 2 weeks, 1-2am feedings nightly,just so happens I've been waking up around that time since I've had him,been feeding phytogreen and a little mysis.Seems to be doing ok,he moves to several different spots at first but I guess he found a spot he likes balled up of course during lighting hours on the wires for the heater and powerhead,looks like a real dense spider web,but so far so good.Thanks for the input,even the the negative input,but when you see something facinating you don't really think until you have it at home,then it's to late!Sorry didn't mean to offend anyone for my purchase!

ophiura

Good luck with it. Watch water quality closely, that is a baby. They need A LOT of food and will take many months to die of starvation. You have likely passed the point where acclimation shock would be a concern.
Also you will need to diversify the diet. They should take to many foods that are of the mysis shrimp size (I am assuming you see it eating those). You may wish to consider making your own food in order to ensure a more diverse diet.

earnit33

Thanks for the response,and I already started making my own,1-part mysis,1-part brine,and phytogreen-s W/small amount of DS water and blending. seems to be doing OK! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

earnit33

Thanks for the response,and I already started making my own,1-part mysis,1-part brine,and phytogreen-s W/small amount of DS water and blending. seems to be doing OK! I'm keeping my fingers crossed

ophiura

I would suggest more than that. I would make a mixture to freeze with mysis, shrimp, mussel, krill, clam, squid, selcon, etc. really mix it up. In the wild they may very well eat a diversity of things within that size range (eg juvenile fish, eggs, plankton, etc). at least every once in awhile, I would mix it up more than brine and mysis. The phyto may even be a bit too small, but won't hurt. Big issue is water quality. It can deteriorate fast trying to keep an animal of that size long term.

earnit33

He got a little krill mixed with his food last night! Going to pick up some squid today,going to mix it all and use the small plastic cube trays that the frozen mysis came in,and keep him a stock in the freezer.Mixing it up every night is for the birds,wakes my room mate everytime she comes out wandering about the noise.

paintballer768

Well Im glad to see youre taking the steps to ensure its survival. Im sure Ophiura knows what shes talking about, but good luck with him. Im tagging along. Ive never seen such a starfish before

earnit33

Thanks for the res onse,I definitely want him to make it, and if anyone else has any other ideas I would like to here them I have been reading on them!