Bat Fish

pbr309

I recently noticed a bat fish for sale in my LFS. Very interested has anyone kept one and know thier habits/needs. Thanks.

promisetbg

They get huge and are for experienced hobbyists.Not an easy fish to keep I'm afraid.They are very interesting and beautiful.

misfit

They need something rediculouslike 500 gal tank and even then theey will grow out of it,Cool looking though

S

surfinusa

i almost bought a batfish at the lfs when it was around 5 inches tall but i almost forgot they need huge tanks and my tank is to small for one any way

victoria

Being a naive new aquarist I purchased a gorgeous pinnate batfish 5 months ago not realizing that they get HUGE and didn't realize that the bigger problem was their 100% mortality rate due to starvation.
To my surprise.....He was instantly an aggressive great eater and beat out my tangs on feeding everytime. He is so healthy, friendly and incredibly beautiful. He seems so fragile, he cracks me up when he stands his ground with much more aggressive fish, of course he is the big daddy of the tank.
I have a 125 and have moved all of my rock to the back of the tank to maximize swimming room, he is fine for now but honestly I love him so much at this point, while I wouldn't buy another one because it's wrong to have such a fantastic creature in captivity I would go but a 200 gallon in a second to accommodate him.

lion_crazz

Definitely a tough fish to keep. As you can see from my avatar, mine is doing wonderfully. I have had him about a year now. I contribute that to my overly-meticulous habits. Nonetheless, a fish that needs to be avoided by inexperienced hobbyists without a large tank.

victoria

I have had a difficult time getting any concrete data on the Pinnate Batfish, while I know if goes through a metamorphosis into adult hood I don't know how long it takes for him to look like yours and also don't know how big (tall) he will actually get.
He is best quess about 10-12 inches tall and 5-6 inches long and has picked up more grey but still has all of his black and orange detail.
Thanks

granny

The fish store where I used to work-just for funsies-had a 1000 tank with a bat in it. As he grew, he became less attractive, the body grew larger and the fins diminished in size as the body grew. he ended up looking more like a huge Discus!!-well, not exactly, but the beautiful long fins were no longer there.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by victoria
I have had a difficult time getting any concrete data on the Pinnate Batfish, while I know if goes through a metamorphosis into adult hood I don't know how long it takes for him to look like yours and also don't know how big (tall) he will actually get.
He is best quess about 10-12 inches tall and 5-6 inches long and has picked up more grey but still has all of his black and orange detail.
Thanks
Well, mine is an orbic bat. I do not have any experience with pinnatus bats.
When mine gets too large for me to handle, it will become a donation to the New Jersey aquarium, as I know people there who have assured me that they would accept him if/when that time comes. :happyfish

huntoaks

Nice Orbic Lion!! Here's mine. This little guy is only two inches. He eats everything I give him.
He's my favorite fish in the tank.

kevin34

All I can say is wow. Both of those bat fish look amazing. Lion Crazz, your bat looks like a MONSTER compared to that clown.
What size tank is he in?

fallnhorse

i seen a bat fish for sale in a 125 gallon in my lfs. I assume he came in on trade. He was about at tall as the tank. I couldn't believe how big they got. :scared: Pretty but i could never get one.

bill109

looks like lion_crazz has it in the 210?
i see that you also have a engineer goby.. i know they get huge.. my lfs had 2 at about 1 foot plus. can i see some pics?
btw your bat looks aweome.

taznut

Originally Posted by Kevin34
. Lion Crazz, your bat looks like a MONSTER compared to that clown.
What size tank is he in?
this is what i was going to say... that thing is huge... one of my LFS has one and they are sooooo cool but theres isnt that big.... beautiful fish...
LionCrazz- how will you get that thing out of your tank to donate it???

lion_crazz

The clownfish has grown incredibly since that picture was taken. He has tripled in size since then. The batfish is in my 210. The tank is centered around the bat, as he, too, is my favorite fish. I throw bananas and grapes into my tank, and my bat goes crazy over them.
Thank you for the compliments. My engineer goby is a little longer than a foot now.
If the time comes that he needs to be donated (if he gets too big before I build my bigger tank), I will take him out carefully with a few nets and transfer him in a huge rubbermaid container.