Batfish

farslayer

My LFS has a batfish, it's red and the name starts with an o, like "orbit" or something similar. This thing looks great, eats like a pig, and is very cool. Does anyone have any idea as to what the problem would be keeping this guy in a 125G reef?

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Farslayer
My LFS has a batfish, it's red and the name starts with an o, like "orbit" or something similar. This thing looks great, eats like a pig, and is very cool. Does anyone have any idea as to what the problem would be keeping this guy in a 125G reef?
Probably a Orbiculate Batfish. These fish are not reef safe, they eat anything ( I think they're considered almost scavengers), very prone to ich , get almost 2' top to bottom. IMO; one of the many fish that look great at the lfs; but really not a good aquarium fish. But a lot of people like the real oddities, and this is one.

farslayer

I had a feeling there was a catch, it's why I always research :) Any idea on a reef safe, healthy batfish?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Farslayer
I had a feeling there was a catch, it's why I always research :) Any idea on a reef safe, healthy batfish?
They all get large and none of them are realy considered reef safe.

groupergenius

They get large FAST. One of the only fish I had that literally outgrew the tank in less than 6 months in a 90. They lose the good looks as they grow also.